1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2010 8:15 PM by JoshO.

ODBC and Word errors 4 times out of 10

oakhamschool

Summary

ODBC and Word errors 4 times out of 10

Description of the issue

ODBC and MS Word seem to produce quite a lot of error messages "record 0 missing etc". Can you make this link more stable, FileMaker to Excel via the same ODBC seems pretty good.

• 1. Re: ODBC and Word errors 4 times out of 10
          TSGal

Jalz:

Thank you for your post.

What version of FileMaker Pro are you using?  What version of Microsoft Word are you using?  What SQL queries are you performing from Word that is returning errors?

Any additional information would be helpful in narrowing down possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: ODBC and Word errors 4 times out of 10
            oakhamschool

Hi TSGal,

Im running FileMaker 10 with SequeLink 5.5 as the odbc driver. My current version of Word is 2007.

The error that appears is:

Record 1 contained 2 few fields.

Go figure??? when I try it a couple of times it works, but it should work straight off, no messing around. I dont like providing solutions which are half baked. I know the table contains lots of fields and that data is also populated.

• 3. Re: ODBC and Word errors 4 times out of 10
              TSGal

Jalz:

Thanks for the additional information, but I still would like to know what SQL statement is being issued by Microsoft Word.  In addition, what fields are being referenced in FileMaker Pro, and the field types.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: ODBC and Word errors 4 times out of 10
                oakhamschool

Im not using a SQL statement? Im going into word, then the mailings tab and then using an exisiting list - and choosing a datasource that I created in word which basically has a string of parameters - which I can post.

At that point I haven't done any queries. Once I've connected to the data source, I can then do the filters. 

I can send you screenshots of what mean privately? 

• 5. Re: ODBC and Word errors 4 times out of 10
                  TSGal

Jalz:

I'm not familiar with Microsoft Word, but I was able to install it on my Mac (Word 2008).  Unfortunately, I don't have a "mailings" tab, so I'm a bit lost.

Somewhere, Word is sending information via SQL to the ODBC driver, and I'll need to find where that query is stored.

I'm assuming Excel has something similar (since also made by Microsoft) when accessing FileMaker data, or are you using an SQL query?.  If this is working correctly, then I would assume there is an easy way to get Excel information into Word.  Doing a quick search on the web, I found:

http://wordprocessing.about.com/od/usingmailmerg1/l/blexcelmerge2.htm

This article may give you a workaround as I research this issue further. 

Since you mention "mailings", I'll assume you are doing some kind of mail merge.  You may want to also consider exporting the data from FileMaker Pro to "Merge" format, as this is a merge data document in Microsoft Word.

If you find any additional information about the query being sent by Microsoft Word, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: ODBC and Word errors 4 times out of 10
                    TSGal

Jalz:

I'm still a bit lost, but this is what I have found.

In Microsoft Word 2008, under the Tools menu, I found "Mail Merge Manager".  Since you are trying to merge data from FileMaker, I thought this would be the obvious choice.

In the "Mail Merge Manager", under the first selection "Select Document Type", I chose "Form Letters".  Under the second selection "Select Recipients List" and "Get List", FileMaker Pro was listed.  Just to make sure, I launched FileMaker Pro, and I did not have ODBC turned on.  Therefore, you may not need to have ODBC turned on to retrieve FileMaker Pro data.  From within Word, I was then able to select a file, select fields, place them on the document, and preview the information.

I'm still unable to locate the "mailings" tab.

Any other information you can provide to help me replicate the problem would be appreciated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: ODBC and Word errors 4 times out of 10
                      oakhamschool

TSGal, your working on a Mac, hence you get a FileMaker option natively when you click on Get LIst from the Mail Merge manager. On a PC its a whole lot different as FileMaker is not a native data source supported. What you have to do is install the data direct driver and and create a system dsn which connects to the FileMaker Server Advanced.

Once you've configured this, in Microsoft Word you have to create a datasource, most important parameter would be the dsn string as this is what makes the connection between ODBC and FM. I enclose part of mine (the bit which makes the connection). Looking at the the sql statement, it is a Select *, which means select all and I do have a fair few fields in that database (around about 60)

It really is unreliable, especially when we're trying to integrate our systems together. We know FileMaker has a weakness in printing and formatting, so we'd prefer to use Word, but the unreliable connection is making me pull my hair out with FileMaker. 

[code]

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/x-ms-odc; charset=utf-8">

<meta name=ProgId content=ODC.Table>

<meta name=SourceType content=OLEDB>

<meta name=Table content=ODBCDoE>

<xml id=docprops><o:DocumentProperties

xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"

xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

<o:Description>Filemaker Table</o:Description>

</o:DocumentProperties>

</xml><xml id=msodc><odc:OfficeDataConnection

xmlns:odc="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:odc"

xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

<odc:Connection odc:Type="OLEDB">

<odc:ConnectionString>Provider=MSDASQL.1;Persist Security Info=True;Extended Properties=&quot;DSN=FM_ODBC;SDSN=ODBC;HST=ipaddress;PRT=2399;LCCS=40;&quot;;Initial Catalog=(Default)</odc:ConnectionString>;

<odc:CommandType>Table</odc:CommandType>

<odc:CommandText>&quot;ODBCDoE&quot;</odc:CommandText>

</odc:Connection>

<odc:Connection odc:Type="ODBC">

<odc:ConnectionString>DSN=FM_ODBC;SDSN=ODBC;HST=ipaddress;PRT=2399;LCCS=40;</odc:ConnectionString>

<odc:CommandText>SELECT * FROM &quot;ODBCDoE&quot;</odc:CommandText>

</odc:Connection>

</odc:OfficeDataConnection>

</xml> 

[/code] 

• 8. Re: ODBC and Word errors 4 times out of 10
                        TSGal

Jalz:

I having difficulty tracking down a copy of Microsoft Word for Windows.  I will reply again on Monday.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: ODBC and Word errors 4 times out of 10
                          mrvodka

I dont understand why FMI does not provide you on the other moderators of these boards ( basically our liason to FMI ), the tools necessary to evaluate all the issues. I think that it would be better suited that you guys have every supported OS, version, and relevant applications ( Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL, Word, Excel, etc etc etc ).

I think that they should strongly consider this.  

• 10. Re: ODBC and Word errors 4 times out of 10
                            philmodjunk
                               If this were a case where TSGal had to test some rare/unusual app I'd disagree, but for something as widely used as an MS Office application in a Windows OS, I strongly agree.
                            • 11. Re: ODBC and Word errors 4 times out of 10
                              TSGal

Jalz:

I downloaded a trial version of Office 2007 and installed it.

I will have access to the Windows 2003 server on Wednesday.  I'll check in again at that time.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 12. Re: ODBC and Word errors 4 times out of 10
                                oakhamschool

Any more news on this? FMs layouts/reports are very basic and we need more flexiblity when writing letters, ODBC is so unreliable, its getting quite embarassing during my training sessions when it fails a couple of times before it works! We've got over 2000 records and about 60 fields to choose from a flat file, that should not be a problem for ODBC??? I think I've trimmed the larger text fields to display/retrieve the first 40 characters to optimise on speed.

I agree with the others, FM should give you the tools to evaluate; heck you can be a msdn subscriber, you get licenced software really cheap to test - and no matter what people say MS Office IS the defacto standard, you should be testing and linking to Office where ever possible like other db systems manage.

• 13. Re: ODBC and Word errors 4 times out of 10
                                  TSGal

Jalz:

The machine I was counting on using is "unavailable until further notice" according to the administrator.  I'm trying to locate another Windows 2003 Server to test.  I will keep you posted.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 14. Re: ODBC and Word errors 4 times out of 10
                                    oakhamschool
                                       OK but we use Windows Vista on our 800+ client machines?Dont know if that will make a difference?
                                    1 2 Previous Next