ODBC driver not exporting text fields

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11 Advanced

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

I am trying to export data from a FM 11 database using the ODBC driver and a VB.net program and ADO.

I have read answer 7843 about setting maximum field lengths before trying to run the export (which definitely leaves me wondering why such an odd limitation would be introduced) and have done so.

When I run a query such as "SELECT * FROM "TableName"" it works and the text fields are exported. If I include the table in a join, though, the fields are NOT export.

So, "SELECT * FROM "Table1" INNER JOIN "Table2" ON "Table1"."ContractID" = "Table2"."ContractID" does not export the text fields from Table1.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this by design?

Steps to reproduce the problem

Using ODBC, create a connection to the FM database.
      Open a Recordset with the SQL "SELECT * FROM Table1 INNER JOIN Table2 ON Table1.Field = Table2.Field"

Expected result

I would expect the recordset to have all fields populated where there is data in the database.

Actual result

Only numeric fields are populated.

Workaround

If I open the database in FM9 and use the Sequelink driver that came with that, it works fine even without adding the field maximum number of characters limitation.