Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.04 and 13

Operating system version

Windows 8

Description of the issue

Help...

In the relationships graph I can no longer add any table occurrences from any of the three external MySQL databases I am connected.

I click to add new table, select my external data source but I do not see a list of the tables in that database. Likewise if I double click one of the old occurrences from the external data source I still do not see any tables

This has been working well for years, and the strange thing is I can still read and write to these external databases so the connection is good. I am able to continue working with the solution as is but can't add anything new to it.

Filemaker Pro Advanced 12 on Windows 8

Does anyone have any ideas?

Dino

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. In relationship graph, attempt to add a new table from an external data source

2. Although the ODBC connection is fine I do not see any of the tables

empty.PNG

• 1. Re: ODBC problem
          TSGal

Dino Apolito:

Thank you for your post.

Do a test connect to make sure you are truly connected.  I'm assuming you are, since you can still connect to the external database.

In FileMaker Pro, pull down the File menu and select Manage -> External Data Sources..., and check to see if the ODBC connection has any filter set to filter out the tables.

I know you said "This has been working for years", but you also mention you are running under Windows 8.  When did you update your Windows system?  What changes were made?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: ODBC problem
            dinoapolito

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the connection is OK because I can read and write to the external tables that I had already setup before this broke.  For example I can populate the  MySQL tables directly with Workbench and I will see that data in Filemaker. Likewise from Filemaker I can populate the external tables  through FileMaker and I will see that data in Workbench. 

So the connection seems to be working. The problem is if I create a new table in MySQL I can't add it to Filemaker. 

I've had Windows 8 for several months. To be honest I don't remember if I have done this with Win8 yet or not.  I hhave installed FileMaker Pro 13 demo and updated the ODBC drivers but to  no avail..

Thanks

Dino

• 3. Re: ODBC problem
              TSGal

Dino Apolito:

Thank you for the information.

Since FileMaker Pro is a 32-bit application, I want to make sure you are using a 32-bit driver.  Correct?

Also, what version of the MySQL data driver are you using?

Since the connection is still there, I do not want to re-establish the DNS yet.  If you have access to another machine, try establishing the DNS on that machine and see if you have the same issue with a sample file.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: ODBC problem
                dinoapolito

Hi,

The ODBC driver is 32 bit. It was downloaded from the MySQL website. Version is 5.2.

I have not tried on another Windows machine yet as I will need to install MySQL on it first etc BUT if I run filemaker on my MAC and connect back to the Windows 8 machine (where the database is hosted) then it works. 

The MAC is obviously using a different Filemaker version and it's ODBC driver is from Actual Technologies not MySQL themselves.

I hope this helps. I will try another Windows machine as soon as I can

Dino

• 5. Re: ODBC problem
                  dinoapolito

Any further help, advice or suggestions on this? I'm getting desperate. 

Thanks

Dino

• 6. Re: ODBC problem
                    TSGal

Dino Apolito:

When you connect back to FileMaker Pro, you would  use the FileMaker driver; not MySQL driver.  Only if you are connecting to MySQL would you use the MySQL driver.

Your previous post mentioned you were going to try it from another Windows machine to the MySQL server.

If using Windows 8 32-bit, then make sure you have installed MySQL Connector/ODBC version 5.2.4 (for FileMaker Pro) or 5.2.5 (FileMaker Server).

For more information, see our External SQL Data Source Overview web page at:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/technologies/sql.html

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: ODBC problem
                      dinoapolito

Hi,

yes, we are always connecting to a MySQL database not a Filemsker database. The MySQL database is on Windows 8. I tried on a windows 7 machine both the .fp12 file and MySQL -  and it still does not work.

When I put my .fp12 file on MAC and connect to the MySQL database on the Windows machine it works. 

Remember the connection seems to be working in that if I populate MySQL externally I see the results in Filemaker. And Filemaker can write back to MySQL.   The problem is that I don't see the table in the relationship graph. Which means if I create a new table in MySQL I cannot bring it in as a shadow table.

We have been doing this for 5 years. I don't why it has broken now.

• 8. Re: ODBC problem
                        TSGal

Dino Apolito:

Before recreating the DNS, let's handle the FileMaker end in case a file is damaged.   Uninstall FileMaker Pro, and then reinstall FileMaker Pro.  This will write a new set of files.  Then, launch FileMaker Pro, open the file, and see if the issue remains.  If so, then reinstall the MySQL driver, and recreate the DNS entry.  Also make sure you only have one driver installed.

If you still run into difficulty, contact our Technical Support department directly as they can walk you through step by step.  If you are in North America, call toll-free 800-=325-2747.  If outside North America, contact the FileMaker office nearest you.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: ODBC problem
                          dinoapolito

OK, I got it working!

I deleted all the DNS's (I have three) and recreated them with identical settings. It worked. I did this without re-installing FMP and without touching the ODBC driver.

I don't know what was wrong. All three connections weren't working. After recreating them with identical settings now they are. 

Thanks for your help and patience.

• 10. Re: ODBC problem
                            benhirsch

I want to reply to this post because the situation sounds very familiar.  And I've tried pretty much all the suggestions on this discussion and more.  I'm moved a redesigned filemaker application that relies heavily on ESS with MySQL on unix. The application was previously running on a Filemaker Server 13 install on Mac OS.  The development work was done on Filemaker Pro Advanced 14 on a Mac and all ODBC connections were through the Actual Tech drivers. Never ran into a connection problem. In this example, my application was redesigned, tested and then deployed to a Windows Server 2012 R2 running Filemaker Server 14 and the ODBC drivers. The install was done through the FMPro application on the Mac.

The system has been humming along for a couple weeks with about 10-12 active users. Today (now yesterday) I went in to add a new MySQL View to the relationship graph and to my surprise the table/view listing was blank. Mind you, the application is operating with the proper System DSN and tested connection to MySQL.  But now I can't amend the application for any external data source without closing the app and downloading it to my desktop Mac to do work and then porting it back up - all 1.2gigabytes.

I thought maybe it was our installation, so I went to another windows 8 install that had a filemaker pro client and attempted to connect to MySQL using ODBC and filemaker (ver 14). Same problem. No tables/views listed in the add tables dialog.  I tested on a Windows 7 install with filemaker 12 and 13 and got the same symptoms. I had to fiddle with the 32bit drivers versus 64 bit drivers in that context. We've never had any configuration problems with Mac Servers and ODBC connections to MySQL.

So I'm wondering. Am I chasing a bug in windows filemaker ... which i really want to work ... or do I have a configuration setup wrong?  I've deleted and recreated system DSNs and the external data source definition many times. The common thread is Windows.  Any help or place  can read to get a straight up answer on how to configure windows?

Thanks! (and thanks for 14.0.5 bug fix - that was huge)

• 11. Re: ODBC problem
                              benhirsch

Looks like our backend Linux based MySQL version is 5.1.xx.  We have a plan to upgrade and test to see if that is the cause of the table listing coming back blank. Filemaker recommends at least 5.6.xx and Linux version is currently at 5.7.11.  This only happens on windows (server 2012 r2, windows 8 and windows 7 clients).  Mac variants work fine.

• 12. Re: ODBC problem
                                benhirsch

Appears the problem was with the Edit Data Source and not MySQL version of the ODBC configuration System DSN.  I placed a filter on Tables using Schema name: field ... this evidently does not translate to the database name in mySQL.  It means something else.  Took that off and the list of tables and views appeared.  On Mac this worked - with Schema name filled in ... not sure if it (actual? or filemaker for mac) just ignored the Schema name field or what...not sure. All is good now.