Summary

ODBC SQL Syntax

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

windows 7

Description of the issue

I use a .net client to query Filemaker Pro to retrieve data and send to another system.  When I add my SQL query, I am unable to retrieve data; although my ODBC driver passes the test in the Microsoft Administrative ODBC window.

I've tried a regular SQL statement like Select * from Contacts_db

AND

EXECUTESQL ("select * from Contacts_db" ; "" ; "" )

Steps to reproduce the problem

Created database Contacts with table Contacts_db

Expected result

Two rows of data in database

Actual result

SQL syntax error

• 1. Re: ODBC SQL Syntax
          TSGal

Germaine Thomas:

Thank you for your post.

From inside FileMaker Pro, create a temporary text field "TEMP", and create a button that executes the script step:

Set Field [ TEMP ; ExecuteSQL ( "SELECT * FROM Contacts_db" ; "," ; "¶"  ]

Although this doesn't use the ODBC Driver, the TEMP field should show all records from the Contacts_db table with each field separated by a comma, and each record separated by a return.  If this doesn't work, then somehow FileMaker is not recognizing the Contacts_db table.  Verify the spelling of the table.

Assuming this does work, then try reinstalling the ODBC driver.and configuring it.  See pages 13-15 of the ODBC Guide at:

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/13/en/fm13_odbc_jdbc_guide.pdf

Once everything is installed again, try running the SQL command.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: ODBC SQL Syntax
            nilsw

Also make sure you have a table occurrence "Contacts_db" in the relationship graph as the ExecuteSQL() uses those instead of the actual base tables.