Summary

Odd behavior of conditionally formated text when copying between layouts

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.6 and Windows 7

Description of the issue

Conditional formatting (color) of text based on Get(LayoutName) doesn't function as expected when text is copied from one layout to another.

This was originally observed in a complex file originally created in Filemaker 11, but is also observed in simple files created in Filemaker 12.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Created new file in Filemaker 12 with one field and 2 layouts (Layout1 and Layout2)

2. In layout view (Layout1), a text object was created ("Text") with color set to white. Then conditional formatting was set such that the text would display as black when Get(LayoutName) = "Layout2"

3. Copy the text and paste onto Layout2 in layout view.

Expected result

Text should appear white on Layout1 and black on Layout2.

Actual result

Text is white on both layouts. In Layout2, the copied text does have the correct formatting annotation. In fact, one can copy the formula and paste it into the formula for new text created on Layout2 and the color behaves as expect - black on Layout2

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

no error messages

Configuration information

observed on Mac OS 10.6 and Windows 7

Workaround

Create the conditionally formated text only on the layout it will be used.

For example, create a new text item ("Text") on Layout2. Set the color to be white. Set conditional formatting as described above, the text now appears black on Layout2.

In version 11, conditional formatting created on one layout could be copied with the object to other layouts and behave as defined by the conditional formatting formulas.

• 1. Re: Odd behavior of conditionally formated text when copying between layouts
          steveromig

David -

Thank you for your message.

I could not reproduce your issue using Windows 7 and Mac OS 10.7.  I can go back and try 10.6 but since Windows 7 was one of the platforms you mentioned that didn't work it seems to be working fine.  In my test, the text block was black on the second layout and remained white on the first layout.

What I suspect might be happening is the conditional formatting formula you have may be incorrect in the sense of the layout name itself.  Keep in mind that the text you put in-between the quotes has to match exactly or the conditional formatting will not work.  For example, if you had a layout called "TestOne " (notice the trailing space) and you wrote a conditional format statement like:

Get ( LayoutName ) = "TestOne"

...that the condition would not be met since you are checking for a layout name without a trailing space.

So, I'd double check your layout names and make sure the formulas you are using match up accordingly.  What is strange is your report that copying and pasting the formula in seems to work.  That I do not have an explanation for.

Also, if you'd like you can send me a sample file that is failing for you and I can take a look at it.  Let me know if you'd like to do that and I will send you a follow up message with an email address you can use.

Thanks!

TSShark
          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Odd behavior of conditionally formated text when copying between layouts
            DavidConner_1

Thank you for your reply. I would be happy to send an example template.

I have a few more details about the issue. The problem seems to be related to the application of themes.

Try creating a new file. Set the first layout theme to River. In layout mode create a text object and set the conditional formating to Get(LayoutName) ="Layout2" with a true result changing the color of the text.

Create a new layout named Layout2.

Return to the first layout in layout mode and copy the text object. Return to Layout2 (in layout mode) and paste the text object. Go to browse mode. The text will appear in the default color, not the conditional color. Go into layout mode. Edit the text (e.g. add a few characters). Go into browse mode. The text will now have the conditional color without any modification of the conditional formula.

I haven't tested many permutations of the effect of themes, but it is definitely reproducible as described. It may be specific to the River theme. That is, the problem may only occur when the text object is originating from a layout with the River theme. The problem does not occur if the first layout is set to Cool Gray. In fact, you can toggle the theme of the first layout between Cool Gray and River, without touching the text object. If the text object is copied from the Cool Gray theme, the conditional formating is correct on Layout2. If the text object is copied from the River theme, the conditional formating is not correct on Layout2 (unless the text is edited on Layout2).

• 3. Re: Odd behavior of conditionally formated text when copying between layouts
              TSGal

David Conner:

Here are the steps I used with Mac OS X 10.7.3 and Windows XP (the only machines I have available to me at the moment).

1. After launching FileMaker Pro 12, I created a new database file named Test.fmp12.

2. I pulled down the File menu and selected "Manage -> Database..."

3. I created one text field: Name

4. I existed out of Manage Database and went to Browse Mode.

5. I pulled down the File menu and selected "View as Form".

6. I added one record, and entered into Name:   TSGal

7. I pulled down the View menu and selected "Layout Mode".

8. I pulled down the Layouts menu and selected "Change Theme..."

9. I selected the "River" Theme and clicked OK.

10. I pulled down the Layouts menu and selected "New Layout/Report..."

11. I selected a Blank Layout and named it "Layout2".

12. I then went back to the original Layout (named Test), clicked on the Name field, and pulled down the Format menu and selected Conditional...

13. In the Conditional Formatting for "Name" window, I clicked "Add", and changed the condition to "Formula is" followed by "Get (LayoutName)="Layout2"

14. Beneath that, I checked the option for Text Color, and changed the color to some shade of red.  I clicked OK.

15. I copied the Name field to the clipboard, switched to Layout2, and pasted.

16. I pulled down the View menu and selected "Browse Mode".  The Name, "TSGal", appears in Red Text.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you, and I'll try to replicate the issue.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Odd behavior of conditionally formated text when copying between layouts
                DavidConner_1

Hi,

There is a significant difference between what you described and the issue I see. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I might not be using the correct terminology.

The conditional formatting issue I see is for conditionally formatted text objects/elements, not text in a text field.

I sometimes use text objects/elements in multiple layouts with conditional formatting that is layout specific. So the text that doesn't seem to conditionally format correctly is not in a field, but text, for example in a field name.

In your example (step 6), put "TSGal" directly on the layout in layout mode and set the formatting.

---

Alternatively in your example, try conditionally formatting both the field and the field title. Copy both to the second layout. The text in the text field will be the correct color. The title text will not. However, if you edit the title text in layout view and return to browse view, the title text will now display in the conditionally formatted color. So far I have only seen this when starting from a layout in the River theme. If you start from a different theme both the field and field title will be correctly conditionally formatted.

It ends up being a rather small glitch, but it does seem to be real.

• 5. Re: Odd behavior of conditionally formated text when copying between layouts
                  TSGal

David Conner:

Thank you for the additional information.

In the first layout, I clicked on the field label "Name", went into Conditional Formatting and set the formula to:

Get (LayoutName) = "Layout2"

I set the text color to some shade of orange.

I then went into Browse mode, and "Name" was displayed in black (as expected).

I returned to Layout Mode, copied the field label "Name" to the clipboard, switched to "Layout2" and pasted.  I saved the layout, went into Browse mode and "Name" was displayed in orange.

I returned to the original layout, went into Layout Mode, clicked on the Text tool and entered "TSGal" on the layout.  I then selected the field, went into Conditional, used the same formula above and set the Text Color to some shade of light blue.  Switching to Browse mode, "TSGal" text was displayed in black.  I went back to Layout Mode, clicked "TSGal" text object, copied to the clipboard, switch to "Layout2", and pasted.  Saving the layout and selecting Browse Mode now displays "TSGal" text object in blue.

This occurs on both Mac OS X 10.7.3 and Windows XP.

Let me know if there are any additional steps I should take.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Odd behavior of conditionally formated text when copying between layouts
                    DavidConner_1

TSGal,

Well, I'm at a loss. As far as I can tell, you are repeating the steps I have described. I just wanted to double check that you are copying the field labels from a layout in the River theme.

In my hands the field label is not correctly conditionally formatted when copied from a layout in River theme. Other themes work fine. It seems very reproducible to me. If I change the theme to something other than River, I can copy the same field label (no editing other than changing the theme) and it will conditionally format correctly on Layout2.

It looks like this is an issue specific to me, but I don't understand the specificity. I can create a file on Mac 10.6.8 or on Windows 7 and observe the same issue. I have been using Filemaker 12 Pro Trial, if that makes a difference.

Thank you for your help.

• 7. Re: Odd behavior of conditionally formated text when copying between layouts
                      DavidConner_1

TSGal,

I don't know if it is worth the effort, but I can send a demo file. I created a file following the steps you listed in your step-by-step post. The only change I made was to set conditional formatting on the field name and field, then copy both to the second layout. Again, the field formatted properly in the new layout, but the field name did not.

• 8. Re: Odd behavior of conditionally formated text when copying between layouts
                        TSGal

David Conner:

No need to send a demo file.  I was finally able to replicate the problem.  I created a new file because the old file was converted, and the conditional formatting does not take the first time from the River Theme.  I have to go back into layout mode and save it again before it displays.

I have sent along your posts along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for additional review.  I will keep you posted as information becomes available.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Odd behavior of conditionally formated text when copying between layouts
                          philmodjunk

Is this specific only to the river theme?

• 10. Re: Odd behavior of conditionally formated text when copying between layouts
                            DavidConner_1

PhilModJunk,

I have not tested this with all the themes yet (6 or so) and so far I have only seen  the issue with the River theme.

• 11. Re: Odd behavior of conditionally formated text when copying between layouts
                              DavidConner_1

I checked each of the themes quickly. There are many themes that have the issue. The following themes have the issue:

Wave Touch, Wave, Electric, River Touch, River, Meadow, Canyon, Beach, Sky, Desert, Cosmos, Shell, Pine, Bamboo, Warm Blue, Cool Brown, Green, Blue, Cool

• 12. Re: Odd behavior of conditionally formated text when copying between layouts
                                TSGal

All:

I've tested with several themes, and it also occurs with River Touch, Wave, Wave Touch, Meadow, Canyon, Beach.  The ones I have tested that do work are Quarry, Electric, Metro,...  I'm not going to test the entire list, but there are definitely some inconsistencies when copying conditional formatting between the different Themes.

From my testing, the quickest workaround to get the conditional formatting to work is tafter pasting, double-click inside the text object so a cursor appears, click outside the object and save the changes to the layout.

Testing has confirmed the issue with the River theme and has sent the information to Development for additional review.

I'll continue to keep you updated as information becomes available.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.