Older database can't add some Custom Menu Items

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v2 (Pro Advanced)

Operating system version

MacOS-X 10.6.5

Description of the issue

A database created prior to FileMaker 11 (may have been migrated from FM 6) needs to have custom menus.  I wanted to add the SubMenu [Saved Finds] to the Records Copy menu.  It is not in the list.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a database in a version of FileMaker Prior to one that included the "Saved Finds" feature.
      Use FileMaker 11 Advanced to attempt to add the [Saved Finds] submenu.

Expected result

All FileMaker 11 Sub-Menus and features should be able to be added to a menu.

Actual result

Unable to add FileMaker 11 sub-menus

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Workaround

None known short of rebuilding the database in FIleMaker 11

Screen_shot_2010-11-17_at_10.47.45_AM.png

• 1. Re: Older database can't add some Custom Menu Items
          TSGal

John Duncan:

Thank you for your post.

I just moved a FileMaker 6 file to FileMaker 11, and I was able to add a Saved Find submenu.  Here are the steps I took:

1. After the file was converted to FileMaker 11, I pulled down the Tools menu and selected "Custom Menus -> Manage Custom Menus..."

2. Under the "Custom Menu Sets" tab, I double-clicked on "Custom Menu Set 1".

3. In the Edit Custom Menu Set window, I double-clicked on "Records Copy".

4. At the bottom left of the "Edit Custom Menu" window, I clicked on the "Create" button.

5. On the right side, I changed the pop-up for "Menu Item Type" from Command to Submenu.

6. Below that, I clicked on "Specify".

7. In the Select Menu window, I scrolled down near the bottom (fourth from the bottom) and double-clicked "Saved Finds".

8. This returned me to the "Edit Custom Menu" window, and the last option now showing in Menu Items is "Saved Finds   (submenu)"

9. I exited out by clicking OK three times.

10. I pulled down the Tools menu, selected "Custom Menus -> Custom Menu Set 1".

11. Under the Records menu, the last option showing is "Saved Finds".

Please let me know what I'm doing differently than you, and I'll try to replicate the problem here.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Older database can't add some Custom Menu Items
            JohnDuncan

Thanks for looking into this.  I can't explain why you see this option and I don't.  If you look at the screenshot I posted you can see that I have sorted the submenus alphabetically and that there is nothing between [Save/Send Records As] and [Scripts].  I checked the entire list and [Saved Finds] does not show up as an option in this database.

I did some more testing and found that the option does not show up on the FMServer_Sample (not sure from which version of DMS it was from) database on this server either.  I then de-hosted the same database and tried it locally and still could not add it.

When I create a new database however it shows [Saved Finds] as an option.   I can certainly send you the FMServer_Sample file that it doesn't show up in if you want.

• 3. Re: Older database can't add some Custom Menu Items
              TSGal

John Duncan:

Thank you for the clarification.  Once you said "FMServer_Sample", the light bulb went off.

"Saved Finds" menu option was introduced in FileMaker Pro 10.  If the database file was created prior to FileMaker Pro 10 (FileMaker Pro 9 and earlier) with a Custom Menu Set, then new commands (like Saved Finds) cannot be added to a Custom Menu in FileMaker Pro 10 or 11.  This is the reason why the "FMServer_Sample" file also exhibits this behavior, as it was created prior to FileMaker Pro 10.

Our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are aware of this issue.  The only workaround appears to be rebuilding the file in FileMaker Pro 10/11, and then adding the custom menu information.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Older database can't add some Custom Menu Items
                TSGal

John Duncan:

Testing has informed me there is a solution for older files, and I have confirmed it works.  In essence, you have to make Saved Finds available to the menu set. 

Here are the steps I took, which is slightly different from above.

1. Pulled down the Tools menu and selected "Custom Menus -> Manage Custom Menus..."

2. Under the "Custom Menu Sets" tab, I double-clicked on "Custom Menu Set 1".

3. This is where it changes...  In the Edit Custom Menu Set window, click "Add".

4. In the Select Menu window, click the "+" sign in the lower left corner to add a custom menu.

5. In the Create Custom Menu window, set the option to "Start with a standard FileMaker menu", click "Saved Finds" and click OK.

6. In the Select Menu, "Saved Finds" will be highlighted, and click "Select".

7. You are back in the "Edit Custom Menu Set".  Use the previous instructions and continue.  That is, double-click "Records Copy".

8. Now, continue like you did in the previous instructions.  In the "Manage Custom Menus" window, double-click the Custom Menu Set.

9. At the bottom left of the "Edit Custom Menu" window, click the "Create" button.

10. On the right side, change the pop-up for "Menu Item Type" from Command to Submenu.

11. Below that, click on "Specify".

12. In the Select Menu window, scroll to the bottom and double-clicke "Saved Finds".

13. Returning to the "Edit Custom Menu" window, the last option now showing in Menu Items is "Saved Finds   (submenu)"

14. Exit out by clicking OK three times.

15. Pull down the Tools menu, selected "Custom Menus -> Custom Menu Set 1".

16. Under the Records menu, the last option showing is "Saved Finds".

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.