7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2011 7:20 AM by RichTea

OLE Error following install of Adobe Reader X (10)

BrianKolb

Summary

OLE Error following install of Adobe Reader X (10)

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

I have container fields that I use to store pdf files for easy access.  Today when I tried to open the file it gave me an OLE error and would not do it.  I remembered that I had recently upgraded to Adobe Reader X, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled Adobe Reader 9.4.  The files now will open.  It appears for some reason that FileMaker Pro 11 doesn't work with Adobe Reader X.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a container field and insert object - Adobe Acrobat document.

Expected result

Doubleclicking on the image of the pdf file opens the file in Adobe Reader.

Actual result

Once the pdf is stored in the container, and you double click to expand the file, it returns an OLE error.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

FileMaker Pro cannot complete the operation because of an OLE (0x80004002) error.

Workaround

Uninstalling Adobe Reader X and reinstalling previous version will allow files to open.

• 1. Re: OLE Error following install of Adobe Reader X (10)
          EricGlamm

I'm currently running FileMaker Pro 10 on Windows 7 Enterprise.  I have had the same problem since the installation of Acrobat Reader X.  The workaround works, but Acrobat Reader 9 will automatically update to X occasionally requiring the same workaround to be performed.  Eventually, Reader 9 will no longer be available, at which point, FileMaker container fields that contain PDFs will no longer be accessible.  What long-term solution can we use?

Thanks.

• 2. Re: OLE Error following install of Adobe Reader X (10)
            RichTea

I have the same problem with a runtime application distributed to users over whom I have no control. They have the same error if they have up-to-date Acrobat Reader X installed. I cannot find any clues to a solution on the Adobe site so I agree that when 9 is no longer available, all my users, who use these document links, will have a non-functioning system - not a very good advert for FILEMAKER is it ?

• 3. Re: OLE Error following install of Adobe Reader X (10)
              TSGal

All:

Thank you for your post.

Since OLE support is being deprecated from FileMaker Pro (see Knowledge Base Article #7618 at http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7618), one option is to create a button that executes a script that uses Export Field Contents specifying file and saving the file to the Documents folder on the server, and then use either Send Event to open the file in Acrobat Reader X, or use a Web Viewer (Set Web Viewer) to display the PDF file within FileMaker Pro.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: OLE Error following install of Adobe Reader X (10)
                BrianKolb

Hi TSGal,

Thanks for the response.  I just tried the Export Field Contents script, but got a message saying "Containers Fields Cannot Be Exported".  I also tried exporting on a picture that I have stored in a container and it worked just fine.  Is it only .pdf files that, once placed in a container, cannot be exported?

Thanks!

Brian

• 5. Re: OLE Error following install of Adobe Reader X (10)
                  TSGal

Brian Kolb:

Are you inserting as an Object or as a file?  Make sure you inert as a file.  Then, you will be able to Export Field Contents.  I just performed this step with FileMaker Pro 11.0v3 on Windows 7.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: OLE Error following install of Adobe Reader X (10)
                    BrianKolb

TSGal,

I was inserting them as objects, which I liked because it gives you an icon of the actual document which when doubleclicked would open in Adobe.  However, I tried it as you described and it does work, maybe not as pretty, but still functional.

Thanks for your help!

Brian

• 7. Re: OLE Error following install of Adobe Reader X (10)
                      RichTea

Hi TSGal

Thank you for the info concerning deprecation of OLE. ADOBE have issued an unpdate dated June 14th to Acrobat Reader X 10.1 which appears to have cured the OLE error problem short term (also occurring with systems other than FILEMAKER). Perhaps the best way to display PDF files in the long term is to use a Web Viewer feeding it URL values with the Set Web Viewer script step because this will work in a web browser. I will experiment.

RichTea