OnObjectEnter script trigger is delayed on a Pop-up Menu

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v2

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.4

Description of the issue

An OnObjectModify script trigger fires whenever a Pop-up Menu is selected, even if the current menu selection is not changed, i.e., click the menu but don't select a new item.

I though I could test for an actual change:

1.  Add an OnObjectEnter trigger to the menu field to capture the current value in a global variable.
2.  In an OnObjectModify or OnObjectSave script, compare the current field value with the initial value (the global variable).

However, the OnObjectEnter script is not triggered when clicking on the menu.  The trigger fires only when a new menu item is selected (an actual change) or when the record is committed (no change).

Steps to reproduce the problem

(see Description)

Expected result

In a Text field, the OnObjectEnter trigger fires the moment the field is selected.  It seems to me a Pop-up Menu should behave the same way.

Actual result

(see Description)

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

(not applicable)

Workaround

So far, the best solution I can find to test for actual modification of a Pop-up Menu field is to capture the initial value with a OnRecordChange script trigger.  That's OK for a single field, but it gets tedious for multiple fields, each with a separate global variable.

Outcomes