OnRecordLoad Not Triggering If PopUp Menu Selected

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v4

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

I believe this to only occur using Windows and kind of relates to the support page at http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7131/kw/onrecordload/session/L3RpbWUvMTM3MTAxNDY3Mi9zaWQvKnE0NTd4c2w%3D but in reverse and proving a pain to us.

If having just selected a value from a pop-up menu and navigate to the next or previous record the OnRecordLoad script trigger will not run until the record is committed, which has to be done manually with a mouse click or Enter key. The Mac version of FMP works as expected with the trigger firing immediately without user interaction.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create 2 fields on a layout, set one as a pop-up menu for a simple value list. Set an OnRecordLoad script trigger.

Navigate between 2 records and the script triggers. Click in the pop-up menu, select a value and immediately navigate to a previous/next record. On a Mac the script triggers, on Windows it doesn't.

We often use SQL generated conditional value lists with global fields for data entry into portals. Navigating between records requires these value lists to be built dynamically using the OnRecordEnter script trigger. As the trigger doesn't fire without user interaction, an incorrect value list can be displayed for a record.

Expected result

We would expect consistency between the 2 operating systems(!)

Actual result

Windows - script doesn't trigger

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error messages

Configuration information

Waiting for an OnRecordExit trigger ;-)

Workaround

Use custom menus and hijack Go to Next/Previous records to take focus away from the fields containing value lists before navigating.

• 1. Re: OnRecordLoad Not Triggering If PopUp Menu Selected
          philmodjunk

Exactly how do you "Navigate between 2 records" ?

Mouse click? Clicking the "book control" in the status tool bar?

I think I am reproducing the behavior if I click directly on the pop up menu of a different record, but not if I click a blank area of a different record.

• 2. Re: OnRecordLoad Not Triggering If PopUp Menu Selected
            CraftICT

Hi Phil

In any record using Windows, select a pop-up menu from any field then use the 'book control' icon in the status tool bar.

Regards

Andy

• 3. Re: OnRecordLoad Not Triggering If PopUp Menu Selected

Andy Hibbs:

Thank you for the post.

I created a sample file and replicated this behavior. I noticed a difference in the way FileMaker behaves when selecting a value in a pop-up menu on Mac OS versus Windows.

On Mac OS X after I select the value in the pop-up, the focus leaves the field. However, on Windows after I select the value in the pop-up, the field keeps active focus. 

What this means is that Mac OS X leaves the field after selection, allowing the OnRecordLoad script to trigger when switching to or loading the next record. Seemingly, Windows keeps the pop-up field active. FileMaker opens the pop-up menu value list after switching records and does not trigger the OnRecordLoad script trigger. 

I forwarded a full report to Development and Testing for review. As a workaround in the interim, try putting an "OnObjectModify" script trigger on the pop-up value list field to run a script to Go To either a named Object or Next Field. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: OnRecordLoad Not Triggering If PopUp Menu Selected
                philmodjunk

A link to this thread has been added to the Known Bugs List. Please post any comments, questions, corrections on that entry here or in a new thread instead of in the Known Bugs List.