Summary

Open dialog box can hang if desktop has alias to remote server

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

v12 & v13

Operating system version

Description of the issue

I have found a bug in both FileMaker pro 12 and 13.

If you have an alias on the desktop that is an alias to a remote server, it can take the Open dialog window a long time to load if your remote server is slow or inaccessible.

Here's how I found my bug:

On the desktop of my laptop is an alias to one of my university's remote server. At home, I have to connect to my university's VPN before the server can mount/be located. Most of the time, I don't use the VPN since I don't usually need to access the remote server. I just connect to the internet through my home's native network.

Here is where lies the trouble. If I'm not on a VPN connection when the Open dialog window for FileMaker Pro is active and I have navigated to the desktop, FileMaker Pro will hang for minutes (maybe 10 to 20 minutes) trying to access the remote server.

Mind you, I didn't ask FileMaker Pro to access the remote server. Simply because I have asked FileMaker Pro to display desktop items, it seems that it tries to connect the remote server through the alias. So it beachballs for tens of minutes until it gives up and then returns control to the user.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Create an alias to a remote server and place the alias on your desktop
      2. Find a way to make the Mac unable to locate the server (e.g., turn off your network connection)
      3. Open FileMaker Pro and go to File > Open
      4. Navigate to the desktop from the dialog window

Expected result

Items displayed

Actual result

FileMaker hangs for tens of minutes until it gives up and finally the user to control the window.

Workaround

Delete alias of remote server from the desktop

• 1. Re: Open dialog box can hang if desktop has alias to remote server

Dr Bev: 

Thank you for the post.

I am unable to replicate. To attempt to replicate, I performed the following steps:

1. Placed an alias on my desktop that opens to the FMServer_Sample.fmp12 on a remote FileMaker Server.

2. Shut down the remote FileMaker Server (to severe the network connection to the server).

3. Opened FileMaker Pro 13.0v5 (Advanced)

4. Clicked File > Open > Pointed at Desktop

Actual Result: Files on my desktop immediately display without hanging.

Perhaps, I am missing a step to replicate? 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Open dialog box can hang if desktop has alias to remote server
            DrBev

Interesting. I don't think your'e missing a step. I am using the trial version of v13 and licensed v12.

I'm not sure what's going on, but would it make a difference if your server is not on a local network (or is it already not on a local network?). 

• 3. Re: Open dialog box can hang if desktop has alias to remote server
              DrBev

If there's a log that I could send along, I would. Just give me instructions.

• 4. Re: Open dialog box can hang if desktop has alias to remote server

Dr Bev: 

Thank you for the replies.

"would it make a difference if your server is not on a local network (or is it already not on a local network?)." 

The server was on the local network; however, the computer was off at the time of the test and at that point not on any network. The only time a log is generated with FileMaker Pro is if the application crashes.

Since this occurs for you with two different versions of the software, then I suspect something else on the system may be causing the hang. 

Are any third party plugins in use? 

Are any other database files already open at the time of the hang? 

Try another admin user on the same computer and let me know if the issue reproduces to rule out a problem with the user account. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.