1 2 3 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2014 9:09 AM by disabled_ntaylor

Open Remote Access

AdamRoberts

Summary

Open Remote Access

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OSX (Mac)

Description of the issue

I set up an account with FMP host so I could share my database

Unfortunately when I try and Access it by "Open remote File", it will not give me the option of the "Open" button unless I enter a file name, which should not be needed

If I do try and enter something for file name to see what happens, I get an error "The file "fmp12" could not be opened. Either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host

I have no issue accessing the file directly though a web browser, iPad or phone. The only thing that can't access it is filemaker

Very frustrating

Steps to reproduce the problem

Contacted FmpHost and went though all the known fixes at there end

Expected result

Being able to use

Actual result

Still not joy, can not remote access

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"The file "fmp12" could not be opened. Either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host

• 1. Re: Open Remote Access

Adam Roberts:

Thank you for the post.

FileMaker Go on the iPad uses the exact same technology to connect to a FileMaker host as FileMaker Pro. We use port 5003.

Since you're on a Mac, we can perform a simple test to confirm the port is open from your FileMaker Pro 13 computer to the FileMaker host machine.

Test the following:

1. Open Network Utility.app (Spotlight "Network" and it will be the top hit)

2. Click "Port Scan" in the top right of the window

3. Enter the Public I.P. address of the FileMaker host

4. Check the box for "Only test ports between" and type "5003"  in both preceding boxes

5. Click "Scan"

Does the port scan return "Open TCP Port: 5003 fmpro-internal"? (See screenshot below.)

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Open Remote Access
            TSGal

Adam Roberts:

Thank you for your post.

If you cannot see the host in Open Remote, then change the View pop-up from "Local Hosts" to "Favorite Hosts".  Click the "Add..." button, enter the Host's IP Address, and under File Settings, select the option "Show all available files for this host".  Click "Save", and the host will now be listed.  Click the host, and all shared hosted files that are set to be viewable will be listed.  Select the desired file, and then click the now available "Open" button.

The other option is to enter the entire Network File Path of the file.  If you see the example below the Network File Path, you will see the filename is required.

What is the name of the file that you are trying to open?

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Open Remote Access
              AdamRoberts

TSFalcon 

No joy, this is the message that came up, any ideas ??

Port Scan has started…

Cannot find host: fmnet:/n35.fmphost.com/

Port Scan has completed…

• 4. Re: Open Remote Access

Adam Roberts:

Thank you for the reply.

When scanning a domain name, leave out the "fmnet:/" and then the port does scan as open. (See screenshot below.)

Since the port appears to be open and forwarded, try the following as next steps:

1. Open FileMaker Pro 13 

2. File > Open Remote

3. Change the "View:" menu to "Favorite Hosts"

4. Click "Add…" in the bottom left

5. Type "n35.fmphost.com" in the "Host's Internet Address" field

6. Click "Save"

I am then prompted by the host server for additional authentication (See screenshot below.)

Could you verify if the above steps work for you? If not, let me know how far you get in the process.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Open Remote Access
                  AdamRoberts

The next step you suggested is where I had the issue in the first place 

Network utility still can not find it

Could it be faulty software, when I brought it I downloaded it straight from the file maker site  

• 6. Re: Open Remote Access

Adam Roberts:

Thank you for the reply.

"Could it be faulty software, when I brought it I downloaded it straight from the file maker site"

While not impossible the software installation is corrupted, most likely, something else on the computer or in the network environment is blocking the port.

If not already done, the recommendation is to update to FileMaker Pro 13.0v3:

Software Update: FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 and FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 Advanced

However, if port 5003 is not returning open to your computer's location, these are the most common causes:

1. The operating system firewall is on and blocking the port.

2. A third party application such as security or antivirus software is blocking the port.

3. A physical hardware firewall or is blocking the port.

To check your Mac OS X Firewall settings:

1. Click  > System Preferences 

2. Click "Security & Privacy"

3. Click "Firewall"

Is the Firewall on or off?

Is any security or antivirus software installed? 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Open Remote Access
                      AdamRoberts

TSFalcon

I tried turning off the firewall and antivirus, which did not help, 

In the network utility I took the back slash off then "n35.fmphost.com" and got a new messagePort Scan has started…

Port Scanning host: 203.143.84.242

Open TCP Port: 5003   fmpro-internal

Port Scan has completed…

but still the old result when I tried to "Open Remote"

Any more ideas ?? 

• 8. Re: Open Remote Access
                        AdamRoberts

Also the software was up to the latest version when I downloaded it 

• 9. Re: Open Remote Access

Adam Roberts:

Thank you for the reply.

but still the old result when I tried to "Open Remote"

Could you expand on this or post a screenshot of what you are seeing?

I am getting the "View Databases Hosted by FileMaker Server" prompt (2nd item in the screenshot above). Do you see a different prompt? Did you see that prompt previously?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Open Remote Access
                            philmodjunk

TSFalcon, might this be a problem with the .PEM files?

• 11. Re: Open Remote Access

@PhilModJunk:

Thank you for the reply.

"TSFalcon, might this be a problem with the .PEM files?"

While not impossible, as of FileMaker Pro 12, if the "server.pem" file is found to be missing, we now generate the file upon launch. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Open Remote Access
                                philmodjunk

Thanks for the update. I'd heard previously that such an issue was "much less likely", from previous posts, but not why.

Yet my Known Bugs List report refers to two issues with regards to the server.pem file. One issue was if it was missing the other was if it were corrupted. It would seem the second issue would not be corrected by this design change in version 12.

• 13. Re: Open Remote Access
                                  AdamRoberts

TSFalcon, I have attached a screen shot of the remote access, note that the "open" button is not accessible 

• 14. Re: Open Remote Access
                                    AdamRoberts

This is the result of the network utility 

1 2 3 Previous Next