9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2014 9:29 PM by Fred(CH)

Opening drag and drop PDFs doesn't work on FileMaker Go

Timothy Bentley

Summary

Opening drag and drop PDFs doesn't work on FileMaker Go

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

iOS 7.1.1

Description of the issue

Pro version is 13.0v3, Server is 12.0.4.45.

When a user uses "insert file" to insert a PDF into a container field, Go will open it fine. If they drag the PDF into the container, when trying to view or export the field displays an HTTP Status 404 error, that the requested resource /Streaming/AdditionalDB1/FM(hexadecimal).pdf is not available.

The field is optimized for images and uses external storage, but changing those didn't seem to have an effect.

Dragging and dropping a txt, doc, html, or jpg worked.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Drag a file from Windows Explorer to a container field.
      View the file in FileMaker Go or export the contents.

Expected result

The PDF displays.

Actual result

An error appears.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

HTTP Status 404 - /Streaming/AdditionalDB1/FM-6303AE47-2086-A748-A464-52AE8CFD525B.pdf

FileMaker Server has encountered an error:
      The requested resource (/Streaming/AdditionalDB1/FM-6303AE47-2086-A748-A464-52AE8CFD525B.pdf) is not available.

Workaround

Make users use "insert file" for PDFs.

• 1. Re: Opening drag and drop PDFs doesn't work on FileMaker Go

Timothy Bentley:

Thank you for the post.

I am unable to replicate. Let me know if my setup or the following steps were different:

Setup

Host Operating System: Windows 7 

Host FileMaker: FileMaker Server 12.0.4.45

Client Operating System: Windows 7

Client: FileMaker Pro 13.0v3

Steps

1. New Database, One Container field, using External Storage (Open)

2. Uploaded the file to FileMaker Server 12.0.4.45

3. Opened the file with FileMaker Pro 13.0v3

4. Right-click Container > Insert File… > file.pdf > Open

5. Placed file in the container field ssing "Drag and Drop" from Windows Explorer

6. Opened the file with FileMaker Go 13.0.4 

7. Record 1 (Insert file method) > Export Field Contents > Save > View

Result: PDF opened for viewing.

8. Record 2 (Drag and Drop method) > Export Field Contents > Save > View

Please let me know if I missed a step to replicate.

TSFalcon
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Opening drag and drop PDFs doesn't work on FileMaker Go
            Timothy Bentley

The Export > Save > View method works correctly. However, choosing the View action does not work.

The script step Export Field Contents seems to work only if it does not automatically open. If the drag-and-drop method is used, Export Field Contents [Test::Attachment; "test.pdf"] works; Export Field Contents [Test::Attachment; "test.pdf"; Automatically open] does not. Export Field Contents [Test::Attachment; "test.pdf"; Automatically open; Create email] seems to also work correctly (note that the email pops up before the file opens).

• 3. Re: Opening drag and drop PDFs doesn't work on FileMaker Go
              Timothy Bentley

As a workaround for the script step, I used export field contents without automatically opening, followed by open URL.

• 4. Re: Opening drag and drop PDFs doesn't work on FileMaker Go

Timothy Bentley:

Thank you for the reply. 

"However, choosing the View action does not work."

Please expand on the above. I am still unable to replicate. 

Using the previous test file, I created a new record with FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 and placed a PDF file into the container field via "Drag and Drop"; afterwards, I accessed the new record with FileMaker Go 13.0v4, tapped and held on the container field until I saw the "View" action, tapped "View." 

"The script step Export Field Contents seems to work only if it does not automatically open. If the drag-and-drop method is used, Export Field Contents [Test::Attachment; "test.pdf"] works; Export Field Contents [Test::Attachment; "test.pdf"; Automatically open] does not."

I am also not able to replicate this. I additionally added two button scripts to the layout, pointing to the container field:

Button #1: Export Field Contents (do not automatically open)

Button #2: Export Field Contents (automatically open)

Both button scripts work regardless of the method the file was placed in the container field.

Can you think of anything else that might help me replicate?

TSFalcon
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Opening drag and drop PDFs doesn't work on FileMaker Go
                  Timothy Bentley

I shared a test file using Pro and the container fields work as they should, so there must be something happening on the server end.

• 6. Re: Opening drag and drop PDFs doesn't work on FileMaker Go

Timothy Bentley:

Thank you for the reply. 

In my tests, the database file was hosted by FileMaker Server 12.0v4 for Windows, using open external storage.

The server software could be at fault, but so could the database file. If you upload the new test file to the server, then does that work?

TSFalcon
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Opening drag and drop PDFs doesn't work on FileMaker Go
                      Timothy Bentley

It works correctly when it is physically on the database server, but not when it is on the file server.

• 8. Re: Opening drag and drop PDFs doesn't work on FileMaker Go

Timothy Bentley:

Thank you for the reply. 

Could you clarify what is on a file server? The database file or the externally stored files?

Please note: operating system level file sharing can lead to file corruption.

OS level file sharing can lead to file corruption

How do I properly share FileMaker files over a network?

TSFalcon
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Opening drag and drop PDFs doesn't work on FileMaker Go
                          Fred(CH)

Hi there,

I also didn't understood the last comment from Timothy. But anyways, I have some investigation tracks to suggest :

It seem that there is a matter with streaming. First because of the error message, Second because FileMaker Pro sharing doesn't allow streaming and then, it seem that error doesn't occurs, Third because Insert File will not insert a browsable PDF however Insert PDF command or drag and drop a pdf both do. In relevance order :

1.           Is FileMaker Server configured to require secure connections ? If true, is the progressive downloading enabled (screenshot below) ?
                          3.           The network administrator may would to check open ports on the serverhttp://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10672and especially 16000 allowed to progressive downloading.
                          5.           If you temporary, for test purpose, change the container to standard instead of external, does it resolve the issue ?
                          7.           The original report state a FileMaker GO issue. What's about FileMaker Pro (FMP) as client ? Are you always able to browse the PDF within FMP ?
                          9.           If you can, test the same situation with FileMaker Go 12, since the FileMaker Server is 12.
                          11.           From FileMaker Pro, if you use Insert PDF command instead of Insert File, can you confirm the issue remains ?

Good luck, Fred