4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2010 12:31 PM by TSGal

Opening Exported file in Numbers.app deletes certain rows

jimlongo

Summary

Opening Exported file in Numbers.app deletes certain rows

Description of the issue

Hi, I try to use Numbers.app instead of Excel as much as possible in my workflow.  When I Export or Save Records As Excel the file if opened in Numbers will have some rows in some columns deleted and or repeated.  When I open the file in Excel it is as it should be.  If I save the file after opening in Excel it will then open properly in Numbers.  Filemaker 9.0v3Numbers 2.0.3 (332)Mac OSX 10.4.11   (also happens at home on OSX 10.6.x)             You can see in the screenshots that the Numbers file on the left is missing col A row 16, row 25, then repeats some rows near the bottom.   Column B is unchanged. As I said if I resave the opened file in Excel it then is right in Numbers. Thanks,Jim LongoRhythm Division  

• 1. Re: Opening Exported file in Numbers.app deletes certain rows
          jimlongo

Hello,

Just to be clear, the reason I reported this here is that I don't think this is a Numbers bug.  Numbers opens Excel files just fine.  It opens these files fine after they are re-saved by Excel.

I think this is a Filemaker bug . . . the Excel file it produces has something strange about it.

Anyone?

Thanks. 

• 2. Re: Opening Exported file in Numbers.app deletes certain rows
            TSGal

jimlongo:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the problem using FileMaker Pro 9 and Numbers 09.  I would like to get a copy of your database file so I can test it further here.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Opening Exported file in Numbers.app deletes certain rows
              jimlongo

Thank you.

Also note that a CSV export opens fine in Numbers.

I've also tried exporting different data, and in different sort orders.  It seems that it's the text data that misaligns, and usually around the same place, i.e. row16, then row24 

• 4. Re: Opening Exported file in Numbers.app deletes certain rows
                TSGal

jimlongo:

I received your file and I was able to replicate the problem.  I switched to FileMaker Pro 10, and the resulting exported file (I used .xls and .xlsx format) is correct when opened with Numbers.  I have sent a screen shot to our Technical Support liaison, and you should receive that shortly.

Although this appears to be working correctly in FileMaker Pro 10, I do not see any reference to this being a problem with any previous version of FileMaker.  I seriously doubt we will revisit FileMaker Pro 9 to fix this problem, so use the CSV export.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.