KH

Summary

OS X (Application) Firewall Prompting To Allow Incoming Connections

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Description of the issue

I know this issue has been reported/discussed for years, and I've really tried to do my homework to remedy this problem, but I can't seem to fix it.  When opening FMP 11.0.4 on OS X 10.6.8, with the OS X firewall enabled, I am consistently seeing firewall prompts to allow incoming connections.  So far I have tried reinstalling FMP, removing/re-adding FMP to the firewall whitelist, and I've done some investigating with the "codesign" command.  Here is what I see after running codesign:

codesign -vvv /Applications/FileMaker\ Pro\ 11/FileMaker\ Pro.app/
      /Applications/FileMaker Pro 11/FileMaker Pro.app/: a sealed resource is missing or invalid
      /Applications/FileMaker Pro 11/FileMaker Pro.app/Contents/Resources/CMap/AdobeFnt11.1.lst: resource added
      /Applications/FileMaker Pro 11/FileMaker Pro.app/Contents/Resources/Font/AdobeFnt11.1.lst: resource added

If I remove both of those AdobeFnt11.lst files, then FMP will open without causing a Firewall prompt.  However, the files come back!  One consistent way I've been able to get the files to come back is to run a "create pdf" script. 

On a sidenote, I have another user who runs FMP Advanced (also version 11), and she gets firewall prompts but not quite the same.  When she opens FMPA, the prompt asks if she wants to allow "fmxdbc.listener.bundle" to listen for incoming connections.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1.  Enable ALF on OSX 10.6.8
      2.  Open FMP 11.0.4 and "Open remote..."
      3.  Click "Allow" when firewall prompt appears.
      4.  Verify FMP is now in ALF whitelist
      5.  Close and Re-open FMP

Expected result

No further prompts from the OS X firewall.

Actual result

Consistent prompts from the OS X firewall every time FMP opens.