OS-X 10.6.8 Kernel Panic when quitting FileMaker Pro 11.0v4

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v3, 11.0v4

Operating system version

MacOS-X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

This is about the 4th time this has happened so I don't think its a coincidence.  It seems to occur when FileMaker Pro has been open for a while with remote databases open and it seems to have started with MacOS-X 10.6.8.  I do a "Quit" on FileMaker Pro 11.0v3 or 11.0v4 and the machine kernel panics, sometimes corrupting the hard disk.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I can't reproduce it but I have gotten to the point where I quit other applications before quitting FileMaker Pro because it happens often enough to be associated with FMP.

Expected result

FMP shouldn't cause a kernel panic.

Actual result

Kernel panic.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

There is no error message.  It seems to be related to TCP/IP considering the first part of the crashlog.  If needed I can send the CrashLog but it won't upload because its not an image.

Sat Aug 27 23:11:58 2011
      panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff800036aef9): "tcp_lock: so=0xffffff80187c4718 NO PCB! lr=0xffffff8000251ee2 lrh= ffffff8000364f23:ffffff8000364fda ffffff80004b0607:ffffff8000364dc4 ffffff80002534bc:fff\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.15.3/bsd/netinet/tcp_subr.c:2118

Configuration information

2011 MacBook Pro Core i7 8GB Mem, 500GB 7200 RPM
      MacOS-X 10.6.8v1.1
      FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v4 (has also done with 11.0v3)

Workaround

None known.

• 1. Re: OS-X 10.6.8 Kernel Panic when quitting FileMaker Pro 11.0v4
          TSGal

John Duncan:

Thank you for your post.

My first thought is that the file may already be damaged, so going to another version is not going to make the file better.

Although you don't mention it in your post, have you tried recovering the file?  That is, close the file, and with FileMaker Pro still open, pull down the File menu and select "Recover...".  Locate the file and click "Select".  Save the new file to the Desktop.  Open the recovered file and work with it.

Although the Recover option will do its best to fix the file, (and most of the time it does), we still recommend that you revert to a file that doesn't have this problem and import the data from the new file.

Yes, the crash log could be helpful, and I would like to see it.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: OS-X 10.6.8 Kernel Panic when quitting FileMaker Pro 11.0v4
            Markus Schneider

I have had this issue as well.

I got the gut feeling that it happens when FileMaker becomes terrible slow while quitting it. For example, when leaving a wifi network (I often work in a train), FileMaker takes then a very long time to quit (FileMaker was running when leaving that network, although the files were local on the HD of the MaBook). It happened 3 times on different machines, different FileMaker solutions. I never used the crashed file, went back to the last backup. I checked the files afterwards using FMDiff and 'Konsistenz pruefen' from the recover menu. The files were fine.

It happened always under 10.6 - but one or two times on older verions than 10.6.8

could it be, that FileMaker does things over the net when quitting? Unschuldig

thank You very much and kind regards

markus

(edit: Happened under earlier versions of FM 11 as well. I' working most of the time with ADV)

• 3. Re: OS-X 10.6.8 Kernel Panic when quitting FileMaker Pro 11.0v4
              JohnDuncan

Unfortunately the Crash Log for this is long deleted.  If it happens again I'll be sure to save it.  All of the databases in question were externally hosted so no recovery should be needed in fact there's no way of telling which of them (if any) was a contributing factor.  In no case however should anything that FileMaker does cause the system to go into a Kernel Panic regardless if the database is in some way corrupt.

I do seem to see a relationship between having externally hosted databases open and possibly databases from multiple FileMaker Servers.  I frequently will have databases open from at least 2 FM servers, one that is local to my network and one or more that are remote.  This could confirm Marcus observation that it happens when network access is slow.