Summary

OSX and custom menus: regular crashes

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v3

Operating system version

Description of the issue

My application uses custom menus exensively, but suffers from occasional crashes.

This happens while changing layouts or when switching modes - in fact at the time the custom menus are being built.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Make an application that uses custom menus all the time.
      Any light-weight lab scale example is just not enough to generate the problem, which only happens occasionally.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
      0   libobjc.A.dylib                    0x9bdfb4a7 objc_msgSend + 23
      1   com.apple.Foundation               0x958d49f2 __57-[NSNotificationCenter addObserver:selector:name:object:]_block_invoke + 49
      2   com.apple.CoreFoundation           0x977b65a4 __CFNOTIFICATIONCENTER_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_AN_OBSERVER__ + 20
      3   com.apple.CoreFoundation           0x9769804b _CFXNotificationPost + 3435
      4   com.apple.Foundation               0x958c34df -[NSNotificationCenter postNotificationName:object:userInfo:] + 92
      5   com.apple.AppKit                   0x994d6b08 -[NSMenu insertItem:atIndex:] + 995
      6   com.apple.AppKit                   0x994d671e -[NSMenu addItem:] + 67
      7   com.apple.AppKit                   0x996cba4b -[NSMenu copyWithZone:] + 345
      8   com.filemaker.client.advanced12     0x000c3268 CopyMenuIfNeeded + 73
      9   com.filemaker.client.advanced12     0x000c1f99 CocoaMenuAttachMenu + 80
      10  com.filemaker.client.advanced12     0x000c33d3 CocoaMenuAttachMenuBasedOnID + 76
      11  com.filemaker.client.advanced12     0x000e0fc8 CMacMenuBase::InsertMenu(short, CMacMenu*, bool) + 54
      12  com.filemaker.client.advanced12     0x000e15d3 CMacMenuBar::InstallMenu(CMacMenu*, short, CMacMenu*) + 275
      13  com.filemaker.client.advanced12     0x000e1601 CMacMenuBar::InstallMenu(CMacMenu*, short, CMacMenu*) + 321
      14  com.filemaker.client.advanced12     0x00357a9d FMCustomMenuBar::CreateCustomMenuBar() + 659
      15  com.filemaker.client.advanced12     0x00355cba FMCustomMenusDirector::ActivateMenuBar(FMDocWindow*, Draco::FMWindowModel::UserMode) + 240
      16  com.filemaker.client.advanced12     0x002a5022 MENU::Update(FMDocWindow*, short, bool) + 377

• 1. Re: OSX and custom menus: regular crashes
          TSGal

clarifix:

Thank you for your post.

Our Development and Testing departments are already aware of this issue with Custom menus crashing.  I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: OSX and custom menus: regular crashes
            RickWhitelaw

I'm using Mavericks and FMPA 13 as well as FMS. All my files and layouts therein use custom menus. I have had no crashes or problems. Ever. As a matter of fact, I've never had an FMS crash and have, on one or two occasions over the last eight years, had FMPA "quit unexpectedly".

• 3. Re: OSX and custom menus: regular crashes
              PeterWagemans

Thanks for sharing this Rick. You must be a happy man.

• 4. Re: OSX and custom menus: regular crashes
                TSGal

Rick Whitelaw and clarifix:

We are aware that most customers are not having an issue with Custom Menus.  However, for the few that are encountering this issue, reverting to the Standard Menu eliminates the crash.  We know this is not a viable solution, but until Development finds the cause and makes a change, this is the only workaround available at this time.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: OSX and custom menus: regular crashes
                  RickWhitelaw

Clarifix,

I posted my "lack of problems with this issue" to illustrate that it is indeed a mystery why two users using the same OS and version of FM should have such different experiences. It must be very frustrating. 

Rick.

• 6. Re: OSX and custom menus: regular crashes
                    PeterWagemans

I was a bit to fast with my rather sarcastic reply. Sorry for that Rick.

• 7. Re: OSX and custom menus: regular crashes
                      Fred(CH)

Hello there,

Don't know if it really can help but i maybe have a track...

I also use Custom Menus and also, sometimes have crashes since FM 12 i think. Recently, i made following observation :

I use a custom menu for Edit > Paste, since i prefer invert the "with styles" by default behavior.

As reported in an other thread (can't retrieve it), a really irritating thing is that when you a are for instance located in the Data Viewer, FileMaker don't switch automatically on Standard Menu. Generally i also have the Script Debugger activated.

BUT, the point is : if i try to paste on the Calculation box of Data Viewer, one time two times etc.. and then, nothing happens because i can see on Script Debugger's call stack, my script is tried to be performed ! And each tries are accumulated on the stack !

I must then close the Script Debugger window and the the scripts are executed (i Think) and if i return back on script debugger, the stack is cleared. But if i don't close Script Debugger because i don't realize the problem, i can think FM is freezed (because the scripts are in pending state).

I cannot swear but i think sometimes this situation leaded me to crash.

As far i know it is a Mac only issue. And you know what ? On Windows, the Menu bar is not active when a window like Data Viewer is open and the custom menus are not interfering at all.

Don't know if FM engineers are aware of this sub-issue.

Fred

• 8. Re: OSX and custom menus: regular crashes
                        TSGal

Fred:

Thank you for your post.

When a custom menu is activated, it will remain active in FileMaker Pro until another menu is activated (or another file), even if you select the Script Debugger.  That is, the Script Debugger will not load the Standard Menu.  Any command that you have that is attached to a script will execute the script.  This occurs on both Mac and Windows operating systems.

Each time you press that shortcut (Mac command-V or Windows Control-V), the script is called, and if the Script Debugger is open, it will be queued up for each instance.  Either executing the scripts or clicking the red "X" will return you back to a normal state.

If you want the [Standard FileMaker Menus] menu set when Script Debugger/Data Viewer is active, then please enter this as a suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form populate a database file that is hosted and monitored by Product Management and Development.  All entries are read, discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of contact questions asked on the form that only you can answer.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: OSX and custom menus: regular crashes
                          philmodjunk

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 10. Re: OSX and custom menus: regular crashes
                            DamonCasey

I have been suffering with these custom menu crashes for a long time. Perhaps it's time to start looking at clashes with other software installed on the computer that could be involved in causing this if other users are not experiencing this at all?

I use a lot of automation software and menu item widgets that I wonder could there be an issue there? For instance, I use Launchbar, Keyboard Maestro, Moom, TextExpander, DefaultFolderX, Hazel and iStat Menus. Could there be something around these apps that have the ability to control the computer under Accessibility in the Security & Privacy System Preference involved in causing the crashes?

• 11. Re: OSX and custom menus: regular crashes
                              TSGal

All:

This issue has been corrected in FileMaker Pro 13.0v4.

TSGal
                              FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: OSX and custom menus: regular crashes
                                philmodjunk

Known Bugs List has been updated