Summary

over 10 crashes in as many minutes

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OS Mavericks

Description of the issue

I had reported an issue yesterday regarding occasional crashes when dragging guides.  Now I am having consistent crashing and weird behavior.  I can replicate one particular thing pretty reliably- if i click around in various fields in my layout, and then click on a button with a very simple script to cause a slide meny to slide- sometimes my mouse click will not activate it.  From then on out until I change layouts and come back, I cannot click anything in the slider. 

Sometimes the program will crash when I click that slider button.  But otherwise, I'm getting intermittent crashing doing various things like inserting images or creating new records.

• 1. Re: over 10 crashes in as many minutes
          TSGal

Nihm Brisby:

Thank you for your post.

It's difficult to determine if the issue is with the file, the computing environment, the layout, scripts, etc.

Do you have access to another computer with FileMaker Pro 13 installed?  If so, temporarily move the solution to that machine and see if you are able to replicate the issue.  This will help determine if the file or computing environment is a factor.

Regardless, feel free to send in a crash report.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: over 10 crashes in as many minutes
            nihmbrisby

Thanks TSGal.  I was able to use the database on a totally separate windows 8 machine today for about 10 minutes.  No crashes or wonkiness, but that isn't much time so I don't know.  I'm going to reinstall OSX and filemaker on my mac.  I sent you my crash reports.  Thanks.

• 3. Re: over 10 crashes in as many minutes
              TSGal

Nihm Brisby:

I received all six crash reports.  Thank you.

Each crash report is similar centered around the slide panel.

Assuming the slide control is the issue, duplicate the current layout, and then remove the slide control from the new layout.  Even though the Slide Control doesn't exist in the new layout, see if a crash occurs while selecting objects.

Assuming a crash doesn't occur, add a Slide Control to the new layout, don't put any objects in the slide panels, and go to Browse.  See if a crash occurs moving between the three slide panels.  If this works, then start adding the objects from the original Slide Control to the respective slide panels in the new layout.

Keep me posted with any progress.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: over 10 crashes in as many minutes
                nihmbrisby

Now I'm really lost.

I assumed (wrongly!) that support would take days if not weeks to respond to my crash reports.  So I decided to nuke my drive, reinstall osx, reinstall filemaker, start from scratch (after copy/pasting my scripts and database report of course).

I ran the osx reinstaller, not realizing that it doesn't nuke your drive.  I guess it just reinstalls OS files?  It kept my data and programs.  So I boot up my database.... I can no longer get it to crash!

Good news right?  But now I'm at a loss as to what to do.  Despite the extra work, starting from scratch would give me confidence in my product.  But if it was simply a faulty OS... then what a colossal waste of time (and potential source of new errors) a database reboot would be!

I mean, as I'd mentioned in a previous report- I did have occasional (once or twice a week) crashes that usually involved dragging a guide.  I just assumed filemaker was crashtastic.  However, I've now spoken to others who've told me that Filemaker has never (or very seldomly) crashed for them.

Could the problem really have been with a two month old copy OSX on a brand new computer?  Could it really be that after all that crashing my database is safe to use?  I'd rather sink another week of time in to a database reboot than give my clients something less than my very best.

Also, I opened my database on a windows 8 machine and couldn't get it to crash either.  I mean- I should say, I was never able to perfectly recreate the bug before I reinstalled OSX, but I'm sure I averaged no more than5 minutes between crashes.  I spent about 10 minutes trying to replicate the crash on the win8 machine.  Also, to be clear- the crashes did not always revolve around the slide menu.  Sometimes I'd open it, and it just immediately crash.  I believe I mentioned that I stopped recording crash reports after 6 of 'em.

Any advice on the course of action I should take would be hugely appreciated.  And please pay no mind to an inconvenience on my part- the only thing that matters is the integrity of the database.

Thank you,

Nihm

• 5. Re: over 10 crashes in as many minutes
                  TSGal

Nihm Brisby:

First, I'm glad everything is working the way it should.

When you call our Technical Support department, you should receive immediate assistance where you will be talking directly with a Support Technician. He can ask questions while you are on the phone, and then decide the next course of action immediately.  With the forum, there is a lot of going back and forth, and depending on the activity on the forum, it can take several hours to receive a reply.

I know you tested the issue for "10 minutes", and that really isn't enough time to verify the cause.  I still didn't know if it was a FileMaker issue, a FileMaker installation issue, or the computing environment.  The six crash reports were all centered around the Slide Control, so my focus was entirely on the layout and that Slide Control.

I try to take care of all the possible things that could go wrong with FileMaker Pro.  Only as a last resort would I consider reinstalling the OS.  In this case, it worked, so that saved a LOT of time.

From your other post where you crashed while dragging guide lines, see if that still occurs.

The integrity of the database file may be a factor.  Although Recover isn't a cure-all, run a Recover on the file and see if any errors are reported.

Please let me know if the issue appears again.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: over 10 crashes in as many minutes
                    nihmbrisby

Thanks TSGal.

I think you may have misunderstood the tenor of my previous post- I am AMAZED to get such a quick response from tech support on the forum.  I meant that usually- with other companies one can expect to wait day or 2 for each reply.  I've received 3 helpful responses from you in less than 24 hours, and I couldn't be more satisfied.  

I have run recover many times on many versions- never a problem.  It also didn't solve the crashes.  I went the reinstall route because I wanted to take definitive action as quickly as possible.  As long as it remains stable I will continue developing so I can get the database to my beta testers.  While they're testing, I'll consider rebuilding from scratch (~3 days work with a copy of the old database side by side) just to be 100% sure.

Thank you!

• 7. Re: over 10 crashes in as many minutes
                      nihmbrisby

I spoke to soon, the crashing has resumed

Assuming the slide control is the issue, duplicate the current layout, and then remove the slide control from the new layout.  Even though the Slide Control doesn't exist in the new layout, see if a crash occurs while selecting objects.

Did this.  Created edited records for about 20 minutes, no probs.

Assuming a crash doesn't occur, add a Slide Control to the new layout, don't put any objects in the slide panels, and go to Browse.  See if a crash occurs moving between the three slide panels.  

Did this. No problems so far.

If this works, then start adding the objects from the original Slide Control to the respective slide panels in the new layout.

Did this.  First I add the button I use for slide controls.  Immediately the problems resume.  After clicking a field on layout, this button will sometimes become unresponsive.  Filemaker will then sometimes crash.  The button's script-

Set Script Animation [On]

Go to Object [Object Name: Get (Script Parameter)]

The script parameter on the button is simply the name of the panel I want to slide to.  I use this on all my other layouts to (which I have not yet experienced any problems with)

Thanks again TSGal- really appreciate your attention.  By the way, I still have not encountered a crash on the windows 8 machine.

• 8. Re: over 10 crashes in as many minutes
                        nihmbrisby

Just wanted to mention that I'm now able to replicate this crash on my other layouts as well.

• 9. Re: over 10 crashes in as many minutes
                          nihmbrisby

I tried changing the script on the button to:

Set Script Animation [On]

Go to Object [Object Name: If ( GetLayoutObjectAttribute ( "HeaderDisplay" ; "IsFrontPanel" ) ; "HeaderEdit" ; "HeaderDisplay" )]

It still becomes unresponsive (and then sometimes crashes)

(headerdisplay and headeredit are the name of the panels on the 2 panel slide in question)

• 10. Re: over 10 crashes in as many minutes
                            nihmbrisby

I removed Set Script Animation [On] from the script and encountered no problems.  I reenabled it and got the unresponsive button within like 10 seconds of alternating between pressing it, and entering other fields on the layouts.  Repeated this several times with the same result.  Generally speaking, if the button becomes unresponsive but doesn't crash- then if I  close filemaker- I get the crash message.  But if I close the database first and then close filemaker, I don't get the crash message.

• 11. Re: over 10 crashes in as many minutes
                              nihmbrisby

I may have isolated the crash.  I am going to keep testing it, but I wanted to note this right away- If i go from a drop down field directly to clicking the button with the script- the button will become unresponsive either right away or after one click.

• 12. Re: over 10 crashes in as many minutes
                                nihmbrisby

Yes that appears to be it! I've tried it with various drop down options (allow edit, autocomplete) and so far they all have the same result.  Almost 100% of the time if I go directly from a drop down list (ie, I clicked my mouse in it, and the drop down appears) to the scripted button- not only does the button become non-responsive, but I am unable to click on any field within the slide menu.

I'm now gonna try this with other scenarios (new database, etc...)

• 13. Re: over 10 crashes in as many minutes
                                  nihmbrisby

I created a brand new database with just the bare minimum to test this and I got the predicted result.  If a drop down is your focus and you then press a button with a script to slide AND animation is on- the slide menu becomes unresponsive.

1 2 3 Previous Next