10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2010 7:30 AM by AnnieD

Overwritten characters in Table View

AnnieD

Summary

Overwritten characters in Table View

Description of the issue

This is about how the computer shows data in table view.  When I have a field with only letters, and the column is not as wide as the contents of the field, table view shows the first few letters -- whatever the column on the screen has room for.  However, I also have a field with a lot of special symbols in it -- such as, 1|3%æ4◊`£`±`.  In this field, when the column is not wide enough to show all the characters, the characters get overwritten on each other.   Why is that?   Can that be stopped?  Sometimes, I want to reduce the column width, but I would still like to see the first characters as they really are.   

• 1. Re: Overwritten characters in Table View
          TSGal

pfh:

Thank you for your post.

What version of FileMaker Pro are you using?  Are you running under Mac or Windows?  What version of the OS?

Using FileMaker Pro 11 on Mac OS X 10.5.8, I am unable to replicate the problem.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Overwritten characters in Table View
            AnnieD

I am using Filemaker 10 on a MAC 10.6.2

• 3. Re: Overwritten characters in Table View
              TSGal

pfh:

I am still unable to replicate the problem.  I'm using a Mac Mini running Mac OS X 10.6.2, and FileMaker Pro 10.0v3.  I used the same set of characters from your post and entered them into a Text field.  Sizing the field down to one character sill displayed the 1.  No characters overwrote one another.

What font are you using in the field?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Overwritten characters in Table View
                AnnieD

I am using Andale Mono 14.   . . . .  We are getting somewhere.

When I checked the layout, I noticed that when I inserted this field, the insertion box was different -- the lower 20% of the space is cross hatched.  When I inserted another field to test -- this time with only simply numbers, it did the same thing.  I do not know why I am inserting these funny fields all of a sudden.   What does the cross hatching mean?

Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: Overwritten characters in Table View
                  TSGal

pfh:

I set my field to Andale Mono font with a size of 14 pixels.  No problem.

If you are getting cross-hatching, is it possible you are in Layout Mode and actually selected the Rectangle tool, Portal tool, Web Viewer, etc.?

Go into Layout Mode, and drag in another copy of the field.  Set the font to Andale Mono and size 14.  Same problem?  Try sizing the field larger.

Does this occur for all records or just one record?  If just one record, then there may be something with the contents for that one record.  Try entering the data manually again.  If this occurs for all records, it could be a layout issue.  Try creating a new Layout and add the one field.  Start with a different font and then switch to Andale Mono.  Any difference?

Please continue to keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Overwritten characters in Table View
                    AnnieD

I tried, in the layout, inserting a new field -- the cross hatch field appears even before I enter which field I would like inserted.  The cross hatch problem then infects whatever field I insert.  It is a field thing, not a record thing -- all the records in the field behave the same way.  I don't think is it a font thing either:  I switched all the fonts to Arial and the same thing happened.

I tried creating a whole new file, and inserting field in the layout.  No problem there. 

This leads me to think that I have a corrupt file.  I save it (copy/smaller) each night under a new name.  I had a problem some months ago on another issue and someone at the Filemaker suggested saving smaller as a way to clean out bugs.  But it is not working in this case.

Is there a way to resurrect the file contents in a new file -- I would lose layouts, etc. but maybe would get rid of whatever is causing this.  I do not want to export everything to Excel as I am using lots of special characters and I don't know how well they would convert.

• 7. Re: Overwritten characters in Table View
                      TSGal

pfh:

Try running Recover on the file.  That is, close the file, pull down the File menu and select Recover.  When finished, open the RECOVERED file and see if the problem persists.

Recover will try its best to rebuild the file.  It may not correct everything, so even if it now works, I would suggest exporting your data to a text file(s), and then make a copy of a file that did not have this problem, delete the records, and import from the text files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Overwritten characters in Table View
                        AnnieD

Recovery worked.  The only bad message on the recovery log was "Failed consistency check error 300" (what does that mean?) -- but everything else looked fine. 

I have opened the file and can now insert fields that do not have this problem. 

Thank you!!!

• 9. Re: Overwritten characters in Table View
                          TSGal

pfh:

The consistency check error messages are internal messages that signify a bad block.  It is either ignored or rebuilt depending on the severity.  Since you were able to open the recovered file, it was rebuilt based on possible interpretations.

Let me know if you run into any other difficulty.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Overwritten characters in Table View
                            AnnieD

One last comment.  Recovering the file also eliminated a problem that I was encountering as I tested Filemaker 11 -- it wouldn't let me select text in that problem field.   I have now decided to upgrade.  Thanks again for your help.