Page breaks change depending on platform

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11v3

Operating system version

Mac + PC

Description of the issue

I have several layouts created on a PC that appear (and subsequently print) differently from a Mac. I have experienced this problem for several years and in different versions of FM but always dealt with it through compromise. Now, however, I have multiply layouts that absolutely must work on both platforms - do you have any idea what could cause this? The PC is actually a Mac running Windows 7 but I can't see why that would make a difference.

120522_Screen.jpg

• 1. Re: Page breaks change depending on platform
          james_quiggins

Hello Gavjuan:

Thank you for posting.

I am unable to replicate the same behavior on my Lion & Windows 7 machine. If possible, could you submit a clone of your database. Check your inbox at the top of this page for instructions on where to send your clone. 

TSwildcat,

FileMaker Inc.

• 2. Re: Page breaks change depending on platform
            james_quiggins

Hello Gavjuan:

Thank you for submitting your files.

I did receive your file. Thank you for taking the time to submit it. I am able to replicate the same behavior on my Lion and Windows 7 machine with your file. With that said, the reason I'm seeing the change is because different fonts are being used on the separate platforms. Although the font size stays the same, since spacing and sizing vary from font to font you will see differences when printing across the platforms.  Try changing to a font that is available on both platforms, like Arial.

If you need any additional guidance, let me know. 

TSwildcat,

FileMaker Inc.

• 3. Re: Page breaks change depending on platform
              philmodjunk

Even when the fonts are the same, windows systems require a bit more vertical and horizontal space to display the same text. This can lead to differences in page breaks and how text "wraps" to the next line within a field or layout text object. In some cases, text can even be "clipped" on the windows side of the fence for layouts initially designed on a Mac system.

Another factor can sometimes be that the two platforms each have their own printer drivers. The driver specific calculation that determines the size of the "printable area" on the page can differ just due to the change in driver.

Sometimes you can adjust the layout to work as desired on the windows platform and (because macs need less space) it then works as needed on the Mac side.

Other times, you end up with mac and windows specific layouts and your scripts have to select the layout that is appropriate to the platform.

• 4. Re: Page breaks change depending on platform
                gavjuan

Found the answer - a little too basic to admit to - the margins for layout weren't set and I'd never found this option before. Now set, prints uniformly irrespective of platform.