Summary

Pane in New Layout/Report Dialog Box is too narrow

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

WinXP - SP3

Description of the issue

In the process of creating a new Layout, the New Layout/Report dialog box opens, as one selects fields from the "Available fields" pane, they are displayed in the "Fields shown on layout/report" pane.  Unfortunately, this pane is not wide enough and there seems to be no way to make it wider.
      I have a table named "Software per Computer". When I "move" a field to the pane, all I see is "Software per Computer..", no matter what field name I have selected, so there is no way to tell if I have selected the wrong item.  At the very least, it would be good UI programming practice to have a "hover tip" appear with the full Table::Field description.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Try to create a new Layout

Expected result

I would expect to see the Field Name in the "Fields shown on layout/report"

Actual result

I see only a truncated view of the field name which, in fact, contains nothing but the table name and is therefore useless.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error.

Workaround

You have to wait until the new layout is displayed to see if you have, in fact, selected the desired fields.

Only_table_name_portion_visible.JPG

• 1. Re: Pane in New Layout/Report Dialog Box is too narrow
          boydcrow

Note that this problem is not seen if all fields are taken from the table shown in the "Show Records from" entry in the previous screen.  However, many people plan far enough ahead that they add fields from related tables at this point.

• 2. Re: Pane in New Layout/Report Dialog Box is too narrow
            user15307

boyd crow,

Thank you for your post.

The "Fields shown" pane in the New layout / Report dialog is too narrow to display field names as you describe.

I have forwarded your post to our Development and Product Management departments so they can consider making this dialog box resizable or adding tooltips in "Fields shown on layout/report pane" in a future release.

I encourage you to enter this information into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form are monitored and read by Development and Product Management where they are then discussed and considered for future revisions.  I could copy your post and paste it into the form, but there are additional questions asked that only you can answer.

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.