Password from FM11 to FM12

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMP.12

Operating system version

Mac

Description of the issue

Password is set in data base for FM11, when I open same FM11 data base in FM12 or import the password will not work. File will not open?

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open FM12, try to open a FM11 database or import does not let me use password.

Expected result

FM12 should open or import old Data base from FM11.

Actual result

Password from FM11 data base will not work when opening in FM12.

• 1. Re: Password from FM11 to FM12
          TSGal

hawaiicolors:

Thank you for your post.

The passwords in a FileMaker Pro 11 database file should convert to FileMaker Pro 12.  Since this is not occurring for you, I'll need some additional information

How many passwords exist in the original FileMaker Pro 11 file?  Do some of these passwords work when opening the file in FileMaker Pro 12?  Do you have access to a password with full access privileges?  If so, check the other user accounts and update the passwords.

Any other information you can provide about the passwords may be helpful in narrowing down possible causes.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Password from FM11 to FM12
            ideaink

Stlll not able to opem FM 11 files or import into FM 12. Simply does not let me use password. I changed data base password and total access in FM 11. Saved and then tried to open in FM 12. No luck, it simply will not let me use my assigned password - I can only open at a guest?

• 3. Re: Password from FM11 to FM12
              TSGal

hawaiicolors:

Please send in the FileMaker Pro 11 file that is not converting the passwords properly.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Password from FM11 to FM12
                philmodjunk

Hmmm, by any chance are you getting a different default account name with FileMaker 12 than you used with 11?

To open a password protected file requires entering both the correct account name and the password assigned to it. You may need to manually enter the original account name or use preferences to set the user name to what has been specified for FileMaker 11 so that the same account name is automatically entered.

• 5. Re: Password from FM11 to FM12
                  iDEViate

is your 11 database password stored in your keychain?  Look in mac's keychain access to see if your log in info is stored there.

• 6. Re: Password from FM11 to FM12
                    ideaink

Got it, I think. Reinstalled FM12, changed account name and password on FM11, then opened in FM12. PhilModjunk was right.