2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2012 9:40 PM by simonclement

Pasting objects into layouts gives unexpected warnings.

simonclement

Summary

Pasting objects into layouts gives unexpected warnings.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OSX Lion

Description of the issue

FileMaker Pro 12 is making unnecessary adjustments to layouts when pasting objects that could fit easily fit onto the layout.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a new file and in layout mode in a layout with a header, body and footer, while in form view draw an object in the body using FileMaker Pro tools so that the object is taller than the vertical space available in the footer.

Copy this object and click into the footer area and attempt to paste and you get a warning saying there's not enough space available. Click into the body and the paste can be managed.

In versions prior to 12 the shape would be pasted over the footer and adjoining parts.

If you copy this object and paste it into version 11 you can now copy it again and paste it into version 12 even if you've clicked into the footer first.

However if you now copy this shape and attempt again to paste it you will again get the size warning. Something is happening to objects copied in FileMaker Pro 12 so that they cannot be utilised as in previous versions.

Expected result

As in prior versions I expect FileMaker Pro to consider space available to include the footer in it's calculations and paste an object over parts.

Actual result

FileMaker adjusts the hight of the body for the pasted object even though not required altering layout dimensions.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"This operation will cause objects to extend off the layout. Do you wish to increase the size of the layout to accommodate the objects?"

Workaround

Making sure you click into any area other than the footer when pasting objects that have a height greater than the height of the footer.

• 1. Re: Pasting objects into layouts gives unexpected warnings.
          rmanook

Hi Simon Clement:

Thanks for submitting your post.

The copy and paste confirmation message/footer behavior you are experiencing is expected behavior in FileMaker 12.

The ability to copy an object in FileMaker 11 and paste it into a FileMaker 12 footer without receiving the message, however, is a bit odd.  I was able to reproduce that issue and have forwarded this thread along with my findings to our Development and Testing department.

Thanks,
          tsturtle
          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Pasting objects into layouts gives unexpected warnings.
            simonclement

Just to confirm:

I have a form layout with multiple parts

Each part's vertical height is less than the height of the FileMaker Pro object I've drawn, copied and am now about to paste.

But the combined height of all parts is greater than the height of the object.

If I click on the part's tab so that is highlighted and paste the object then there is no problem pasting the object. It simply overlaps other parts.

Unless the highlighted part is the footer in which case the message is displayed and the body height is adjusted. (Even though the body height is greater than that of the object's the body height is still increased).

This is not critical by any means but I've noticed a few other anomalies around this issue which I'm trying to reproduce and I suspect that this has something to do with it.

Simon