PC Shortcut breaks container fields perminantly
Operating system version
Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 64 bit
Description of the issue
Permanent Breakage of Containers?
I am a doctoral student new to FMPro (so may be doing something wrong).
I have a simple database to manage all the papers I read and reference.
In the single table system is a container, into which I drop files. These show an icon of the file type and normally opens the file if I double click the container.
I created a Windows filesystem shortcut to a .pdf I was using, and dropped the shortcut into the container.
The container could not open the shortcut; indeed, the container field no longer worked as usual - I could get nothing to open even when using it with ordinary files (not shortcuts).
Closing and restarting FMPro did not help.
Deleteing the database, rebooting and restarting FMPro did not help.
Now, with a blank database, a container inserted by itself into a blank table will show an icon of a file (.pdf, .mp3) is dropped into it, but will no longer open / play the file.
This appears to be a way to permanently break containers!
Windows opens files normally, thus I suspect that the shortcut has somehow damaged a driver or dll which FMPRo uses, or the associations to the correct application FMPro uses.
Again, this now stops all similar containers fields on the system :(
Steps to reproduce the problem
1. Create a new database with 1 table.
2. Insert a container field.
3. Drop a file into it e.g. a .pdf and observe icon in container.
4. Confirm double-click of the container opens the file.
5. Create a Windows shortcut (link) in Windows Explorer, to the file.
6. Drop the shortcut into the container.
7. Attempt opening the container; it no longer works.
8. Drop the original file into the container.
9. Observe the file shows as an icon in the container but will no longer open.
10. Repeat steps 1-3 above.
11. Observe step 4 now fails. You FMPro installation is broken!
12. Rebuild PC?
Should do something non-damaging
Broken FMPro ?
Exact text of any error message(s) that appear
No errors seen.
FMPro recently installed. Windows 7 updates current (as of 10th December 2013)
None; destroying field / destroying database and re-inserting container field does not work.
BUT the Content management application, which uses a different style of container, still works.