PC Shortcut breaks container fields perminantly

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 64 bit

Description of the issue

Permanent Breakage of Containers?

I am a doctoral student new to FMPro (so may be doing something wrong).

I have a simple database to manage all the papers I read and reference.

In the single table system is a container, into which I drop files. These show an icon of the file type and normally opens the file if I double click the container.

I created a Windows filesystem shortcut to a .pdf I was using, and dropped the shortcut into the container.

The container could not open the shortcut; indeed, the container field no longer worked as usual - I could get nothing to open even when using it with ordinary files (not shortcuts).

Closing and restarting FMPro did not help.

Deleteing the database, rebooting and restarting FMPro did not help.

Now, with a blank database, a container inserted by itself into a blank table will show an icon of a file (.pdf, .mp3) is dropped into it, but will no longer open / play the file.

This appears to be a way to permanently break containers!

Windows opens files normally, thus I suspect that the shortcut has somehow damaged a driver or dll which FMPRo uses, or the associations to the correct application FMPro uses.

Again, this now stops all similar containers fields on the system :(

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Create a new database with 1 table.

2. Insert a container field.

3. Drop a file into it e.g. a .pdf and observe icon in container.

4. Confirm double-click of the container opens the file.

5. Create a Windows shortcut (link) in Windows Explorer, to the file.

6. Drop the shortcut into the container.

7. Attempt opening the container; it no longer works.

8. Drop the original file into the container.

9. Observe the file shows as an icon in the container but will no longer open.

10. Repeat steps 1-3 above.

11. Observe step 4 now fails. You FMPro installation is broken!

12. Rebuild PC?

:(

Expected result

Should do something non-damaging

Actual result

Broken FMPro ?

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No errors seen.

Configuration information

FMPro recently installed. Windows 7 updates current (as of 10th December 2013)

Workaround

None; destroying field / destroying database and re-inserting container field does not work.

BUT the Content management application, which uses a different style of container, still works.

• 1. Re: PC Shortcut breaks container fields perminantly
          TSGal

Steve Broderick:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  Here is what I did.

1. I created a Container field.

2. In the first record, I put my cursor in the Container field, pulled down the Insert menu and selected "File...".

3. In the "Insert File" dialog box, I checked the option to "Store only a reference to a file" (to ensure I can double-click it), and then selected a Microsoft Word file.

4. I then double-clicked the icon in the Container field, and Microsoft Word launched and opened the file.

5. I created a second record, put my cursor in the Container field, pulled down the Insert menu and selected "File...".

6. In the "Insert File" dialog box, I made sure the option "Store only a reference to a file" was checked, and then selected a PDF file.

7. I then double-clicked the PDF icon in the Container field, and the PDF file opened in Adobe Reader.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you.

From your description, it sounds like you didn't have the option "Store only a reference to a file" checked.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: PC Shortcut breaks container fields perminantly
            philmodjunk

Double Clicking a container field only opens the inserted file under very specific conditions:

The file is inserted via Insert File with "store a reference" selected and then only if the container field object double clicked has not been optimized for interactive content.

If any of those conditions are not met, double click doesn't work.

As an example, drag and drop does an "insert picture" operation and does not select "Store a reference" so files inserted in this fashion cannot be opened via double click.

But Export Field Contents can always be used to export and open a copy of the file.