4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2013 9:33 AM by JosephSchueller_1

PDF activity in container field causes Acrobat crash, FMPA 12 crash.

JosephSchueller_1

Summary

PDF activity in container field causes Acrobat crash, FMPA 12 crash.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Advanced, 12.0v4

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

Please see the original help forum post for a complete explanation:
      http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/df5ed7c1d2?commentId=253303#253303

Steps to reproduce the problem

Re-install Acrobat
      Update Acrobat
      Format container field
      Insert file method test
      Stop non-Windows services

Expected result

Acrobat and Filemaker no longer crash during regular use

Actual result

Both continue to crash

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Adobe PDF Document

There is a problem with Adobe Acrobat/Reader.
      If it is running, please exit and try again. (507:507)

-

(19:19)

-

Former occurred when using drag & drop to store PDF files in container. Latter occurred when using "Insert PDF" command to do the same.

Configuration information

Running Adobe Acrobat X Pro

Workaround

None

• 1. Re: PDF activity in container field causes Acrobat crash, FMPA 12 crash.

Joseph Schueller:

Thank you for the post.

To attempt to replicate this, I installed Adobe Acrobat X on Windows 7 and created a new database file with FileMaker Pro 12.0v4 Advanced.

--------

Table 1: Projects

Fields: serialized ID 

Layout: Portal (container and serialized ID from Table 2)

Table 2: Documents Library

Fields: serialized ID, foreign key, container (interactive)

Layout: container (interactive) field

Relationship: Projects::serialized ID --- Documents Library::foreign key

--------

15 PDFs were inserted using the following methods:

1. Right-click > Insert File

2. Script to Insert File

3. Dragged & dropped into the interactive container field.

During the test, I switched multiple times between the two layouts and neither FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced nor Acrobat crashed or reported any errors. Am I perhaps missing a step to replicate?

When this was tested with a new table and a new field, was that in the same file or a new file? If recovery is run on the database file, then are any errors reported?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: PDF activity in container field causes Acrobat crash, FMPA 12 crash.
            JosephSchueller_1

Hi and thanks for the reply.

The replication is accurate, barring what are probably some unrelated lookups that occur after the <go to Document Library-New Record-Set Field-Commit Record> script. The script and lookups are probably immaterial anyway, as the problem only occurs when dropping/inserting a PDF into the container after the script has run, or browsing a record with existing container data (via script or any other navigation). I would say that perhaps 15 insertions is less than robust, as I often could do as much before getting the error. 

Recovery log reports no errors.

The new table/field test was conducted in both the same file, and a new file just moments ago. I don't get the error when running the test in the new file.

However:

Without changing anything, besides now consistently using only the Insert PDF command (no more drag & drop), the file, table, and field in question have been working error free for the last 4 hours of heavy use. This is what is so confusing- the error only began to occur after many hours of use, happened sporadically (sometimes I could get through 5 new records with PDF data in the container, sometimes 40, before getting the error/crash) and now has been working right for the longest stretch since the first crash. 

I'm sorry but this seems like an anomaly, probably an Acrobat problem and not a FMP problem. Would it make a difference if the base directory storing the container files is on a remote machine, yet opened by the Acrobat software installed on my local machine? 

I'm going to continue working and will report any new occurrences of the error. 

Gracias

• 3. Re: PDF activity in container field causes Acrobat crash, FMPA 12 crash.
              philmodjunk

The reason for testing in a new file is that there are no guarantees that Recover will successfully find and repair any problems with your file. So if this works with a new file and not the original, it is possible that the original file is damaged.

• 4. Re: PDF activity in container field causes Acrobat crash, FMPA 12 crash.
                JosephSchueller_1

After weeks of trouble-free use, the 507:507 error and Acrobat crash are back. No Filemaker crash yet. The error occured moments ago while adding a PDF via "insert PDF"  command, storing only a reference. 

Restarting FMP, we'll see how long until the next error.