Summary

pdf document does not show in interactive container field

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.9.5

Description of the issue

In a newly designed database with FM14, a container field, set to interactive, remains white after a pdf file has been imported, either manually or per script. The file is present, however, and the pdf document can be exported from that field.
      The same database, when opened with FM13, behaves correctly as expected on the same machine. The pdf is visible, can be scrolled etc. I use a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro, the behavior is identical.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Define a Container field in FM 14
      Set it to interactive via the Inspector
      Import a pdf document, either per script or manually through menu command

Expected result

Visible pdf file

Actual result

Field remains white

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None

Workaround

Open the same database with FM13

• 1. Re: pdf document does not show in interactive container field
          philmodjunk

What precise method was used to "import" the PDF file?

Insert PDF?
          Import Records (Folder)?
          Insert File?
          Insert Picture?

• 2. Re: pdf document does not show in interactive container field
            steveromig

Karsten -

Thank you for your message

What is the default viewer of PDF files on your system?  Do things work any better if the default PDF viewer is set to the Preview app?

Any plug-ins installed?

And, just for clarification, does the entire PDF render white or does part of the PDF render but the background of the PDF is white?

TS_Shark
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: pdf document does not show in interactive container field
              Intelligenz

Hi, guys,

thanks for your support.

The methods tried were the "insert pdf" command in the Insert menu ("Einfügen" in German), the same command in the context menu (right mouse click onto the field), and the identical script command.

There are no plug-ins installed in either FM13 or FM14.

The container field remains as it is, either white or transparent, depending on the layout setting. There is no change to it's appearance after inserting the document. I tried several different documents, created from InDesign and other sources. Nothing of the pdf can be seen.

The only thing that happens is that the placeholder text as defined with the Inspector disappears. Which is to be expected; because, as I said, the pdf is present and can be exported.

The default viewer is Preview.

Everything works fine instantly when I open the same database with FM13 on the same machine.

Now I expect your 211 developers to start working on this instantly while the one remaining caters to other issues :-))

Greetings, Karsten

• 5. Re: pdf document does not show in interactive container field
                cschenk

Dear friends…I had a similar issue except my FM 13 had worked perfectly with interactive pdfs and then suddenly stopped. As it turns out my problem was that the Safari plugin box was unchecked (preferences--security) and the program needs the plug in. I have mac os 10.7.5, Adobe reader X.  Switching to preview for pdf's did nothing.  A gentleman on the forum clued me in about the Safari webkit needing to be used for FM interactive containers.  This may be basic to others but it was new news to me.  I don't remember unchecking the Allow plug-ins box but could have.  Anyhow, something to check out. I reprint my solution below.

I found a solution...I decided that the problem might be in my Safari browser since it clearly wasn't with the pdfs.  I when I looked under Safari Help - installed plug-ins there were none listed.  (go figure).  So I went to Safari preferences,- security and discovered that the "Allow  plug-ins" box was NOT checked  (I don't remember unchecking but must have at some point in an effort to protect privacy or something).  When I rechecked the box to allow plug-ins, they all appeared in the Help drop down "installed plug ins"

I restarted my computer and voila…my blessed interactive pdf's appeared once again with the ability to scroll up and down.  So pleased! I feel foolish now but glad to have figured it out

So thanks for all your help…the clue was the safari webkit….  Perhaps this will help some other hapless soul.

Chris Schenk

• 6. Re: pdf document does not show in interactive container field
                  Intelligenz

Well, interesting,

but that cannot explain why my database does not work with FM14 but without problems with FM13. On the same machine.

Still stuck

Karsten

• 7. Re: pdf document does not show in interactive container field
                    philmodjunk

It might. There could have been a code change in 14 that makes this something where this change in Safari affects one version and not the other.

It's worth a look at least.

• 8. Re: pdf document does not show in interactive container field
                      artpromac

Hi Chris

I did check your solution but Safari was corrected setup (safari plugins allowed)

No acrobat PDF plug in here

I still have the problem in FMA13 and FMA14 and FMA15, Any idea, Thanks for your help

I tried this also

Interactive Containers (PDFs) fail when hosted + remote client? - FileMaker Server 12 - FMForums.com

Product

FileMaker Advanced

FMA Client Mac Version

MacOS Client

Mac OS 10.10.5

MacOS Server

Mac OS 10.10.5

FMServer Mac Version

2 servers tested :13 and 15

• 9. Re: pdf document does not show in interactive container field
                        TSGal

artpromac:

Since you are on a Mac, open Safari, and see if you can open the PDF directly?  Does this work?

Assuming you are able to open the PDF with Safari, remove the following two Adobe plug-ins:

[Hard Disk] > Library > Internet Plug-Ins > AdobePDFViewer.plugin

[Hard Disk] > Library > Internet Plug-Ins > AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

Quit Safari.

Launch FileMaker Pro, open the hosted file, and insert a PDF into an interactive Container field.  Does this work?  If not, create a new database file, create a Container field, format the field for Interactive content, add a record and insert the PDF.  Does this work?

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 10. Re: pdf document does not show in interactive container field
                          artpromac

Thank you TSGal

to answer your questions : "Launch FileMaker Pro, open the hosted file, and insert a PDF into an interactive Container field.  Does this work? "

no

"If not, create a new database file, create a Container field, format the field for Interactive content, add a record and insert the PDF.  Does this work?"

no it doesn't work :-(

On safari the Pdf works

i'm desperate

Thank you for your help

• 11. Re: pdf document does not show in interactive container field
                            TSGal

artpromac:

Since inserting a PDF doesn't work locally, we can focus on your machine.

Create a new Mac user account, login to the new account and launch FileMaker Pro.  Create a new database file with a Container field, format the Container field for Interactive content, add a record and Insert PDF (use one of the PDFs from the FileMaker Pro folder).  Does this work?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: pdf document does not show in interactive container field
                              artpromac

Thank you TSGal

By locally I mean On the local server (to avoid the eventual problem with the Port forwarding)

the PDF doesn't stream locally from my database or the database Sample (with a pdf container) via filemaker server 13, same on FMS 14 and FMS15

(I have few servers)

the PDF doesn't stream externally from my database or the database Sample (with a pdf container) via filemaker server 13, same on FMS 14 and FMS15

(I have few servers)

If I put my database or the database Sample (with a pdf container) on my mac , it works

I can see the PDF and navigate into it

it seems to be a problem with a setup on all the FMS, isn't it ?

Thank you for your help

• 13. Re: pdf document does not show in interactive container field
                                TSGal

artpromac:

My apologies for the late reply.

Locally means local to your machine.

Since accessing the file locally works, we can focus on the server.

Starting with basics, if a firewall exists, temporarily turn it off so all ports are available.  If SSL is turned on, temporarily turn it off.  Once you have a basic FileMaker Server setup, launch FileMaker Pro and see if you can insert a PDF.  If this still fails, check your routers to make sure they don't have ports being blocked.  If no ports are blocked, try rebooting the routers.

Continue to keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: pdf document does not show in interactive container field
                                  artpromac

Thank you TSGAL

I don't understand why the problem can be my router as  I'm on local network , and accessing my database via Local IP 192.168.1.x

Port forwarding concern only external connection, isn't it ?

Anyway, For your information, on my router, there is no Firewall and the port TCP 5003 is open

thanks for your precious help

1 2 Previous Next