PDF Engine Slow/Inoperable in v13 compared to v12

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

v13/v13 Servr

Operating system version

PC

Description of the issue

I have a client that, via a script, creates a PDF file for multiple records with multiple images per PDF file. Quite simply, doing so in v13 client takes 5-10 minutes to create one PDF File (if it completes the process at all), where as in FMP 12 client the PDF process is nearly instantaneous. Images are 1-4 MB, typically 4 images per file with one image per page. Typically export 75-300 records in a go. Using FMP Server 13. Current work around is to use v12 for generating these PDFs, but its something I think FileMaker would want to know (if they don't already).

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a similar file and try using server 13 and compare client 12 with client 13.  Happy to share code.

Expected result

v13 client hangs.  v12 client completes job rapidly.

Configuration information

v13 server on pc.  v12 and v13 clients on pcs.

Workaround

use v12 client

• 1. Re: PDF Engine Slow/Inoperable in v13 compared to v12
          TSGal

Steve Slater:

Thank you for your post.

Are you using Print > PDF, or Save as PDF?

Are you saving the resulting PDF file to a local drive or network drive?

For clarification, you mention "PC" for Operating system.  What version of Windows is being used on the client machine?

Any other information you can provide about the client machine may be helpful in replicating the issue.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: PDF Engine Slow/Inoperable in v13 compared to v12
            hsslater

Thanks for the assistance.  Using the Save Records as PDF script step.  Saving to a local drive (on the desktop in a known folder called "Export").  Experienced this on Windows 7 Professional. 

Server is Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

Steve Slater

• 3. Re: PDF Engine Slow/Inoperable in v13 compared to v12
              TSGal

Steve Slater:

Thank you for the additional information.

Although I am unable to replicate the issue, perhaps it is the size of the images and types of images that are being saved.  In my example, my images are all JPG files with sizes ranging from 150-500 Kilobytes.  If possible, I would like to see a copy of your database file so I can try the export here.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: PDF Engine Slow/Inoperable in v13 compared to v12
                hsslater

Hi and thanks.  Files are images taken by iPads using Go at full res so bigger than the ones you are using.  This is a Fourtune 500 company doing work for another big company.  I fear even asking about getting you copies of the files (which would be HUGE given the thousands of images, which are stored externally by the way).  Is there any way to speak directly with you and/or do a screen share of the server and have you look at the situation that way?

• 5. Re: PDF Engine Slow/Inoperable in v13 compared to v12
                  TSGal

Steve Slater:

If you create a new database file with a Container field set for external storage, try inserting one of the known images that you are trying to export, and see if the problem still exists.

If you believe the information is sensitive to the company, then it is probably better you speak with someone directly with our Technical Support department.  I am not permitted to perform a screen share, but it may be possible with our Technical Support department.  If you are in North America, please call toll-free 800-325-2747.  Outside of North America, contact the FileMaker office nearest you.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.