Thank you for your post.
I am unable to replicate the issue. This is what I have done:
1. Using FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 under Mac OS X 10.9.4, I accessed the "FMServer_Sample.fmp12" file being hosted with FileMaker Server 13 running under Mac OS X 10.9.4.
2. After pulling down the File menu and selecting Mange -> Database, I created a new table named "Containers".
2. In the Containers table, I created two Container fields: "Image" and "Interactive".
3. In the Containers layout, I set the "Interactive" Container field to Interactive content.
4. In Browse, I added a new record, put my cursor in the "Image' Container field, pulled down the Insert menu and selected "Picture". I selected the "FMP Read Me (English).pdf" file, and it displays as an image.
5. I put my cursor in the "Interactive" Container field, pulled down the Insert menu and selected "PDF". I selected the same "FMP Read Me (English).pdf" file, and it displays as an interactive PDF file.
Please let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.
Is it possible that Insert Picture was used to insert these files instead of Insert PDF?
thanks for your suggestions.
First I tried to insert the PDF as picture or as PDF with no difference in the result displayed.
Second I tried what TSGal described, and again no interactive PDF was displayed. See the attachment for my result.
But now I found a difference: When I select "Store only a reference to the file" the PDF displays. If I select to store the PDF inside the FM file (checkbox off) it does not display.
The calculation "GetContainerAttribute ( Interactive ; "MD5" )" gives the same result, no matter if the PDF is displayed or not.
As clients I use FM Pro Advanced 13.0.v3 on OSX 10.7.5 and FM Pro 13.0.v3 on OSX 10.9.4 with the same results. I regularly use FM in German, but for the test I switched to English.
Is Adobe Reader installed? If so, temporarily uninstall it, and set PDF files to open in Preview. Double-click the PDF file to ensure it opens in Preview. Then, launch FileMaker Pro, open the database file, and insert the PDF file into the Interactive Container field. Does this work?
It is possibly streaming related.
Did you check if the streaming is allowed within the Admin console ( Database server / Security ) ?
Is the 80 and 16000 ports opened on server ?
What kind of storage did you defined for the field ? Internal/External ? Open/Secured ?
PS : Sorry, i know it is not kind to answer by questions ;-)
as I wanted to check your ideas, I realized that I can not access the Amin console any more. Port 16000 leads me to "Server not found".
I am going to uninstall and reinstall FM Server tomorrow, unfortunately I do not have my FMS installer with me.
Thanks for your suggestions
before re-installing: Try booting the server machine (restart the server Mac)
The server has been restarted several times since I discovered the "PDF problem" and one time since I discovered the problem to access the admin console, without any changes.
Hello,I just wanted to confirm that deinstalling FM Server 13 and reinstalling solved the issue, restarting did not solve it. I am always impressed how painful this procedure is if you do it without regular practise. For some reason the old installation must have been corrupted that the interactive PDF display and admin console did not work any longer and I have absolutely no idea how this may have happened.Thanks for all your suggestionsEric