PDF Paging issues

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Go 12.0.2

Operating system version

5.1 (9B179)

Description of the issue

When I create a PDF using Text from many tables, the page of the text has to be extended and creates extra pages.  Moving the footer up one page cuts off information.

The Header works fine on the computer, but on the iphone and ipad versions, the last line (with any lower hanging letters) shows up on the next page with the pieces of the character.  I've tried removing the heading and the problem continued.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I create what should be 9 pages and do this script:
      Save Records as PDF [Restore; No dialog: "chart.pdf"; Create email; Current record]

I end up with 10 pages when I do this on the Windows or Mac computer.

When I do this on the iphone or ipad, I get the bottom of the characters cut off and the rest of them show up on the top of the next page.

Expected result

I expect the charts on the iphone and ipad to create the PDF with the characters complete on a page.

I expect the pages to not include a blank one.

Actual result

Some characters show the tops on the one page with the bottoms of the characters show on the next page.

I have extra blank pages.

Workaround

My workaround is to save the information on the iphone and/or ipad and send the information from my computer.  The extra pages seems to be the strange bonus.

chart_with_heading-2_copy.jpg

• 1. Re: PDF Paging issues
          TSGal

Patricia Smith:

Thank you for your post.

What font are you using?  Are you possibly using a font that isn't supported in iOS?  This would then substitute another font that may be possibly larger so it would account for printing on more pages.  See page 17 of the FileMaker Go Development Guide under the section "Choosing fonts":

http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/12/filemaker-go/fmgo_development.pdf

IF the problem still exists, let me know what fonts you are using so I can test it here.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: PDF Paging issues
            PatriciaSmith

I always use arial.  So that is not the problem. 

• 3. Re: PDF Paging issues
              TSGal

Patricia Smith:

Thanks for the information about using the font Arial.

Your description seems like it should work, so instead of trying different scenarios, it would probably be best if you just sent in your database file so I can test it here and determine why it is failing.  Please check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: PDF Paging issues
                TSGal

Patricia Smith:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I am able to replicate the issue on the iOS device with the text being cropped at the bottom of the page, with the remaining part appearing on the next page.  I have sent the file to our Development and Testing for review.  I will keep you updated as information becomes available to me.

The blank page between records is caused by the Layout being a couple pixels too long.  Move the Body part up a couple of pixels and the blank page will disappear.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: PDF Paging issues
                  TSGal

Patricia Smith:

Testing informed me that this is due to the font rendering in iOS is different from the Mac.  Currently, FileMaker Pro uses its own text engine, but FileMaker Go relies on the iOS text engine, FileMaker Go is unable to attain the precision needed to page break properly.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: PDF Paging issues
                    PatriciaSmith

Is there a solution available?  I am not the only one that is surely experiencing this problem.

• 7. Re: PDF Paging issues
                      TSGal

Patricia Smith:

The only workaround at this time is to adjust the contents of each record so that there is an empty space where the page break occurs.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: PDF Paging issues
                        rgordon

TSgal, is there any update on this issue.  This is not a minor nuisance.  It is a major problem if your solution  relies upon printing a multiple page report.  This  is the same issue that plagued FileMaker  pro 11.v1 and was finally fixed in a later rev.