Summary

PDF's in Container Fields open in Default App automatically

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows

Description of the issue

I am not encountering this issue myself and may have some of the details wrong here. But two different users have now encountered the same issue with the same needed fix so this info needs to be brought to TS attention--both to have updated assistance info and to evaluate whether a needed "fix" should be made to FileMaker.

See this thread for what details are available:
      http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/b84acea99f

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open a layout with a PDF inserted into a container field.

Expected result

You see the typical FileMaker layout

Actual result

The PDF automatically opens in Adobe Reader (I think that's the app that opens this.)

Workaround

Open Internet Explorer. Disable and then re-enable the Adobe Reader Add On.

• 1. Re: PDF's in Container Fields open in Default App automatically
          TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for your post.

The information was previously sent to Development and Testing.  It was declared not a FileMaker issue, but the symptom has been kept as a reference for testing.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: PDF's in Container Fields open in Default App automatically
            philmodjunk

Well anything that keeps FileMaker from working correctly IS a FileMaker issue. wink

It may be a bug with IE or Adobe, but since it "breaks" FileMaker, it's your issue too. And just as we have to work around FileMaker bugs to do our job, FileMaker may need to employ their own fix instead of waiting for Microsoft and/or Adobe to fix it. But then this may also be an  issue where the other parties already have the needed fix in place....

• 3. Re: PDF's in Container Fields open in Default App automatically
              nerosunero

that is correct Phil (actually in my case I am using version 12),

When the problem happened to me I thought it must have been a well known issue at Filemaker. When I contacted support for assistance (early Jan. 2014), after a bit of confusion in communication, I was promptly directed to the solution of my problem.

That was the email FileMaker support kindly sent to me:

" There's a specific Add-on called "Adobe PDF Reader"; would you mind clicking on this one, and making a screenshot of the detail dialogue which appears? I'm also wondering what happens when you load a PDF file in Internet Explorer; does it load in the browser window, or does also open up in a separate Adobe Acrobat window?"

Actually that Add-on "Adobe PDF Reader" was enabled in my control panel. I had to disable and enable again first, then the issue disappeared!

• 4. Re: PDF's in Container Fields open in Default App automatically
                filemaker@recordkeeper.com

I had the same issue with Filemaker 14 on windows server 2012 RDP machine and found that updating the Adobe acrobat reader to the latest version solved the issue for me.  Turned out that when IT claimed to install acrobat new, they used an ancient 2012 version of acrobat 11.0.0 and performed no updates.