Thank you for your post.
Since this worked previously, something has changed.
To see if this is a file issue, create a new database file with one Container field and set it for Interactive content. Then, insert one of the installed FileMaker PDF files (User's Guide, Web Guide, etc.). If this works as expected, then recover the original file, and test again with the recovered file. If the new file also fails, then we can look closer at the system. Does Digimarc Reader install any plug-ins that may not be accessed when you uninstalled?
Any other information you can provide may be helpful.
Please also see my private message by clicking "Inbox" at the top of this page.
thanks for looking at this.
Same issue even when I start a new database. Not sure if there are any Digimarc Reader Plugin still in the system after uninstallation. I will try to look at it.
Another possibly useful information is this one: if I open an URL containing a PDF
like this one :
the PDF does not load in the browser window, it also open up in a separate Adobe Acrobat window (not sure this was the case in the past!)
if I open an URL containing a PDF
the PDF does not load in the browser window,
That would be expected behavior for Open URL.
Since this occurs with a new file, it is definitely system related. To reinforce this, if you paste that link into a web browser, it should open the file in the browser; not Adobe Acrobat. Try opening that link on another machine, and you will see that it opens in a browser.
Keep me posted with any progress in case others encounter the same issue.
thanks again TSGal
even if I open that same link on the same machine in Chrome (rather than IE) it opens the PDF in a browser!
I disabled and then enabled an Add-on called "Adobe PDF Reader" and problem seems to be fixed! excellent many thanks for the support nerosunero