1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2014 10:42 AM by Fred(CH)

PDFs not interactive in container fields

bcheang

Summary

PDFs not interactive in container fields

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13 v1

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.9.2 Mavericks

Description of the issue

I'm not really sure if the problem is with the server or client version of Filemaker. But if I put a PDF into a container field which is interactive, I cannot interact with the PDF if the file is hosted on a server (which is running Mac OS X server). If the same file is on a local hard drive, it works as expected.

However, if I put a movie file into the container, it works regardless of whether the file is on a local hard drive or hosted on FM server.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a file with a container field. Set its properties to be an interactive container field. Insert a file which is a PDF into the container field.

Expected result

It is expected that we can view the contents of the PDF file.

Actual result

Only the icon and name of the PDF file is displayed.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message if you choose insert file. But if you choose insert PDF, you get the message "File does not begin with %PDF-"

Configuration information

None

Workaround

None

Screen_Shot_2014-03-20_at_6.01.15_pm.png

• 1. Re: PDFs not interactive in container fields
          TSGal

bcheang:

Thank you for your post.

Where do these PDFs originate?  If you use the PDFs installed with FileMaker Pro, do these work?

In case your original layout is damaged, try creating a new blank layout, add the Container field, format the Container field for Interactive content, and insert one of the FileMaker Pro PDFs.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: PDFs not interactive in container fields
            bcheang

Hi,

The PDFs originate from different sources. Even those that are created by Filemaker Pro have the same issues. I have already created brand new layouts and files with the same results.

The odd thing is that in layout mode, I can see a preview of the file, while in browse mode, nothing. See attached.

Regards

Bernard

• 3. Re: PDFs not interactive in container fields
              TSGal

bcheang:

Do you have Adobe Reader installed?  Try disabling Adobe Reader so that Preview is the default application.  Does this work?

Remove the Safari Adobe Reader plug-in by quitting Safari and remove it from /Library/Internet Plug-ins

See if this works.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: PDFs not interactive in container fields
                bcheang

Hi,

I do have Acrobat Reader, but I do not have the plugin installed. I am using Preview for PDFs.

Still, it doesn't really explain why is works if the database is stored locally on my hard drive and not when it is hosted on a server. Seems like it may be a permissions kind of thing, but I don't know how to test this.

• 5. Re: PDFs not interactive in container fields
                  TSGal

bcheang:

Thanks for the additional information.

It could be a permissions issue.  Make sure ports 80, 443, and 16000 are open on the server.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: PDFs not interactive in container fields
                    bcheang

Hi,

All the above mentioned ports are open. I can connect to the web server and admin console. Did a port scan. Says ports are open.

• 7. Re: PDFs not interactive in container fields
                      TSGal

bcheang:

Was the file created with FileMaker Pro 13 or an earlier version?  You mention the file is hosted on Mac OS X Server.  Is the file hosted with FileMaker Server 13 or FileMaker Pro 13?  What version of Mac OS X Server are you using?

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: PDFs not interactive in container fields
                        bcheang

It does not appear to make any difference if the file was created in FM Pro 12 or 13. The server is running on Mac OS X Server v10.8 and and files are hosted on Filemaker Server Advanced v12.0.5.551.

• 9. Re: PDFs not interactive in container fields
                          TSGal

bcheang:

Thanks for the additional information about using FileMaker Server 12.

We are tracking a similar issue with FileMaker Pro 13 accessing files hosted on FileMaker Server 12.  Specifically, if you insert a PDF file into a Container field formatted for Interactive content, the hardlink is not generated.  This only occurs with Mac OS X.

I have now attached your post to the original report.  When I receive any additional feedback, I will let you know.

One user was able to get this working by changing the format from Interactive content to Image, and then back to Interactive content.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: PDFs not interactive in container fields
                            Fred(CH)

Hello there,

I can confirm TSGal statements about the issue. But for my part, i couldn't use the user's workaround.

However, the workaround i found is to define an external storage on the field's option (secure or not).

Bye, Fred

• 11. Re: PDFs not interactive in container fields
                              philmodjunk

@TSGal, do you have a link to that other report? For now, I'm using this one as the "home" thread, but would link this Known Bugs List report to the originating thread if I could find it for that purpose. (I can't find a matching report in the database so must assume that I haven't previously logged this one...)

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 12. Re: PDFs not interactive in container fields
                                bcheang

Thanks, everyone, but none of the "workarounds" worked for me.

I'm thinking it has something to do with permissions, or specifically how Mac OS X handles PDFs. That's because, if I were to embed a movie file, it works fine. I only have an issue with PDFs, which is the predominant file format I will be attaching. It would be really nice for users to be able to see the contents without having to download to their local machines.

• 13. Re: PDFs not interactive in container fields
                                  Fred(CH)

Too bad. crying

What i have done :

Hosting a database with one interactive container on FMS 12 and another exactly same database on FMS 13.

Then accessed these db within both FMPA 12 and FMPA 13 and inserted PDF. The results were :

All the insertions worked, except when i inserted from FMPA 13 on the FMS 12 hosted db. In fact, the error message appears when FMP is rendering the PDF (because the file is stored!) : File does not begin with… (see above mine is not exactly same as you).

Then, i discovered that it could works nevertheless on that same culprit config if :

> You insert a reference instead of the file itself (but that is not a scoop!).

> You define the container field as an external container (secure or open). Then, the PDF from previous insertions that failed are rendering correctly and of course, i can insert new ones.

After you said that it didn't the trick, i tried to clear the external storage option (then my PDFs revert to blank and the error message was back) and i inserted an audio m4a file. It confirmed your statement that the problem is limited to PDF because i can play the audio file just fine.

Fred

• 14. Re: PDFs not interactive in container fields
                                    TSGal

PhilModJunk:

My apologies for not making this clear.  The original reports came from two customers calling into Technical Support; not from this forum.

TSGal
                                         FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next