I had some unexpected behaviour which got resolved after installing Adobe Acrobat Reader on Win 8.
As far as I know, FMP uses general system resources and resources from the webkit (MSIE for Windows, Safari-Webkit for Mac). Definitely for WebViewer and presumably for Container behaviour. Do you have a Adobe Reader installed?
Check also Container settings in the inspector: Optimise for
• interactive content (PDF, MP3, etc.)
Thanks. I do have Adobe reader installed (newest version) and I do have the container optimized for PDF (Interactive). I've downloaded and run pre-fab solutions, including the Start Solution that FMP provides, and they behave the same way. So, it appears to be a system issue, not my programming.
Thank you for your posts.
Do you have any plug-ins installed? If so, temporarily disable them and try again.
Do you have access to another computer? If so, install FileMaker Pro and see if the issue also occurs on that machine. If not, then uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Pro on your original machine. If the problem still exists, compare your system with the system on the second machine to determine what is different.
It seems to work fine on a Win7 machine using FMPro 12. I have also found that on Win8 and FMPro 13 that Adobe tries to launch the entire reader program as a new window and not open the PDF within the browser window. I have checked and set everything to try and force it to stay inside the browser window, so far with no luck.
I'll try and deactivate or even remove all plug-ins and try again.
Thanks for these suggestions.
Another customer was having similar symptoms with PDF files in Container fields opening automatically in Adobe Acrobat/Reader. See:
In essence, disabling the add-on "Adobe PDF Reader" and re-enabling appears to fix the issue. Let me know if this helps.
Nope. The other user was in FMP12 which is working fine for me on a Win7 machine. I disabled all the Adobe add-ons in my Win8 machine and it didn't resolve the problem.
I have found a workaround posted by someone else that uses a web viewer hidden behind a button. The button runs a script that resets the window. It opens up the PDF in another window using the default Adobe Reader or Acrobat. Awkward, takes a lot of extra programming effort and definitely not what I want, but at least it replaces the container field with the "reloading" circular arrow.