Peculiar new behavior of Custom date formatting in Inspector

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Advanced 13

Operating system version

Yosemite  Mac OS-X  10.10

Description of the issue

When choosing Custom to format a date, the separators appear automatically filled with serial numbers as shown in the attached screen shot.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Take a date field that has not been formatted Custom already and choose Custom for the date format

Expected result

punctuation characters like those that are given in the option list

Actual result

serial numbers beginning with 1

Workaround

over-write the serial numbers

Screen_Shot_2014-10-21_at_10.54.40_AM.png

• 1. Re: Peculiar new behavior of Custom date formatting in Inspector
          TSGal

Dennis Burnham:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  When I select "Custom", the punctuation characters are displayed.  I do not get serial numbers.  See the screen shot below.

What theme are you using?  Do you have any plug-ins installed?  What other information can you provide to help me replicate the issue?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Peculiar new behavior of Custom date formatting in Inspector
            dburnham

I was working in a database that began as a FM-12 solution and I am now using FM-13 Advanced to work on it.  It is now being hosted on a FMS-12 Server on Windows, but there was a time in the past when it was hosted on a FMS-13 Server on Macintosh.

I don't have access to the current series of backups to examine what was the format of the the date field before I went to change it yesterday.   I know that the date format included the year, and I was working on a layout where the field width is too narrow to display the full date value, and also the year is not necessary.  So I clicked CUSTOM to modify the formatting of the date and that is when I observed the numerals.

The date field is in a portal, in case that matters.  The theme is River. 

The same file is still running on my FMS-13 Mac server, so I opened it today to look at it.  The same layout does not seem to have been changed since the time the file was moved to the FMS-12 Windows server.

I repeated what I did yesterday, first by taking a screen shot of the field's format before custom was chosen.  Then, I toggled the format to Custom and after holding my breath and praying that the same result will occur, I took a second screen shot.  I then positioned the 2 screen shots side-by side o that I could upload it as a single image, showing you the "before" on the left and the "after" on the right.

I also tried toggling back and forth so that if I had to demonstrate this to you in the future I could do that.  The behavior repeats as many times as necessary while still in Layout mode.

FYI, the instruction should be changed in this form.  It says "your image will be uploaded when you click Save below, but there is no Save button.  The button says  Post Answer.

• 3. Re: Peculiar new behavior of Custom date formatting in Inspector
              TSGal

Dennis Burnham:

Thank you for the additional information.

I see the portal is also enclosed a Tab Control.

I created a layout using the River Theme, created a Tab Control, placed a portal in the second tab panel, placed the related Date field in the portal, and my Custom formatting still shows the proper punctuation.  That is, comma-null-comma-null.  The one thing I noticed in your latest screen shot compared to your original posting screen shots, you changed Year to None, and there is no "4" for the serial number.

Even though I am unable to replicate the issue, I have sent your findings and screen shots to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Peculiar new behavior of Custom date formatting in Inspector
                dburnham

You're correct about the difference in the screen shots from today and yesterday.

When I originally observed the issue, I could not remember what was the original date format that I started with.  I just went to the inspector and clicked custom.  When I replaced the serial numbers with the desired punctuation characters I had not yet thought of submitted a feedback post and so when I did that, I had to do my best to show what happened.  I typed 1-2-3-4 for the purpose of the screen shot.   But today's screen shot is unedited, natural and real.

Yesterday I did change year to None.  Today I went no further than catching the appearance at the instant I clicked CUSTOM.

• 5. Re: Peculiar new behavior of Custom date formatting in Inspector
                  TSGal

Dennis Burnham:

Although it wasn't necessary, I do appreciate the explanation.

Since I cannot replicate the issue, perhaps there is something system related.  Do you have any plug-ins installed?  If so, temporarily disable them and try again.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Peculiar new behavior of Custom date formatting in Inspector
                    dburnham

There are many plugins on the copy of FileMaker running on my workstation, so this is what I did to honor your request.  I connected to my server with Remote Desktop and launched FileMaker 13 there.  On that machine, there are no plugins installed.  I then performed the exact sequence again and got the same results.  The only visible difference is that my workstation shows the little drop-down arrows in blue (Yosemite) whereas on my server the OS is Mountain Lion. 10.8.5.   Still the result is the same.

• 7. Re: Peculiar new behavior of Custom date formatting in Inspector
                      TSGal

Dennis Burnham:

Thanks for checking.  I'll report this information back to Testing.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Peculiar new behavior of Custom date formatting in Inspector
                        dburnham

If it's of any help, I would be glad to share the screen of either my server or my workstation and show you the file.

Or, if you prefer I can give you access to the hosted file on my FMS-13 server where the file is only in a "sandbox" mode and there's no risk of injury.

• 9. Re: Peculiar new behavior of Custom date formatting in Inspector
                          TSGal

Dennis Burnham:

Please send me a private message with the particulars.  Include the instructions for the filename, layout, etc.  Unfortunately, it's my end of day here, and I will not be in the office tomorrow (Thursday), but I will be here Friday.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.