Summary

Perform Find is grayed out in Find Mode Filemaker Go

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

iOS 4.3.2

Description of the issue

When I perform a find in my Filemaker database with Filemaker Go, the program will go into Find Mode and you can type in the field you are searching, but when you go the find menu the Perform Find is grayed out and you can't select it. The security rights are Data Entry Only. Find works perfect in Filemaker Pro. Thanks for the help

I added a screenshot and here is a link to a video that shows the problem with my database.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quw_2Jwg2fs

Screen_shot_2011-04-26_at_7.31.21_PM.png

• 1. Re: Perform Find is grayed out in Find Mode Filemaker Go

swillette:

Thanks for posting.

I'm having trouble reproducing this behavior. I created a file with an admin account and an account that uses the Data Entry Only privilege set. I then hosted this file using FileMaker Server 11 and accessed it with an iPad running OS 4.3.2 and FileMaker Go 1.2. After logging in using the Data Entry account, I was able to successfully perform finds.

Does this issue occur in a new file?

In the privilege set settings, can you verify that the Available Menu Commands setting is currently set to "All" for the Data Entry Only privilege set?

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Perform Find is grayed out in Find Mode Filemaker Go
            swillette

If I log in as admin on the iPad, I still get the same problem. No problems when opening it up in Filemaker 11 Advanced or when I create the runtime application.

Like you, with another database file, on the iPad, I don't have this problem.

I am using custom menus in the file. I have included the View menu with only Browse and Find Mode on it. 

The Available Menu Commands setting is set to "All" for the Data Entry Only privilege set. I posted a screenshot of the privilege set. 

I sell the database, so I limit what the users can see and do.

Here is the link to my website where I sell the runtime. There are screenshots on the first page, although I don't I'm not sure if this will help. www.the4xjournal.com

Click on the YouTube link to see the problem on video. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quw_2Jwg2fs

• 3. Re: Perform Find is grayed out in Find Mode Filemaker Go

swillette:

I downloaded the runtime file from your site and noticed that the Perform Find menu item is not included in your custom menu set. It does appear there's an issue here but it's with FileMaker Pro, not FileMaker Go. Specifically, excluding the Perform Find menu item from a database should also disallow a user from being able to perform a find through the status toolbar or keyboard shortcuts. In this case, FileMaker Pro still allows you to perform the find by hitting the enter key. FileMaker Go on the other hand seems to be behaving as expected and ignoring the keyboard shortcut.

I went ahead and forwarded your post along with my findings to our Quality Assurance and Development departments for further investigation. As a workaround, you can either include the Perform Find menu item in your custom menu set or include a button on the layout set to run Perform Find.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Perform Find is grayed out in Find Mode Filemaker Go
                swillette

Thank you so much for your help. I added the Request menu and that fixed the problem! When I first developed the database, I tried to take out as many menus as I could to keep things simple for my users. I didn't have a problem until I tried it on the iPad.

I think adding search criteria requirements in the FileMaker Go Development Guide would have helped me solve this problem. I looked in the Guide for any Find development requirements for FM Go before I posted on the forum.