Summary

Permissions issues with container fields and Lion

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Macos 10.7

Description of the issue

When having a container field export it's contents to the temporary directory in filemaker and immediately try to open that file it will show a permissions error and the file will not open.  This same script works just fine on macos 10.5 and 10.6.  The only change is Lion.  Other people still using the database using Windows and macos 10.6 still have no problems.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Insert a file or image into a container field, then export the contents of that field to the filemaker temporary directory with the script opening that file.

Expected result

The file should open

Actual result

Get a permissions error.

Configuration information

You do not have Permission to view this file

Workaround

Seems to only happen on the first attempt to open the file.  After the first attempt additional attempts work fine.

• 1. Re: Permissions issues with container fields and Lion
          TSGal

tannerellen:

Thank you for your post.

I am able to replicate the problem, and it occurs in any directory; not just the temporary directory.  Like you, any subsequent attempt works correctly.

I have forwarded your post, along with my findings, to our Development and Testing departments for further review.  I will keep you updated as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Permissions issues with container fields and Lion
            TSDuck

tannerellen:

There is some further troubleshooting I would like you to try for this issue.  First, I would like you to run repair disk permissions on your machine.  Go to MacintoshHD/Applications/Utilities and launch the Disk Utility.  In the Disk Utility, select the MacintoshHD and click repair disk permissions.  After the repair finishes, try running your export script and see if the error or crashing still occurs. 

I would also like you to test this issue in a new database file.  In FileMaker, create a new empty database and add a container field on each record.  Add in some media and setup the same export script in this new file.  Test and see if the same error comes up within a new file.  Let me know what results happen following these steps.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.