Phantom Window Resizing in Windows

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11 Pro

Operating system version

Windows 7 64 bit Professional

Description of the issue

As I know you are well aware, when you open a new window in a script step and tell the new window to be a smaller size than the currently open window, if that currently open window is maximized, it spontaneously re-sizes itself to it's un-stretched dimensions.  I've seen excuses on the forums that this is a Windows issue, etc.;  Nonsense!  Windows doesn't care how many maximized windows you have open and doesn't spontaneously change their dimensions.  This is clearly a bug in your code somewhere -  It's very annoying (please don't tell me about the workarounds - I know what they are and they are lame and don't fully solve the problem if the user maximizes the window!)  Under no circumstance should a window resize itself unless the developer has specifically told it to.  Please, Please, Please find this bug and squash it!

• 1. Re: Phantom Window Resizing in Windows
          TSGal

George Petersen:

Thank you for your post.

In the current design, we are relying on Windows to manage the window sizes.  When a new window is created, Windows links the original window to the new window, so when the new window is resized, it takes the original window out of maximize mode.  This does not occur under Mac OS X.

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of this issue, and I have attached your post to the original report.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Phantom Window Resizing in Windows
            philmodjunk

Taking the window out of maximize is expected. Getting a completely unexpected window size is not. It's that pop to whatever size the window had the last time it wasn't maximized that causes the most trouble.

Of course, eliminating the "window inside a window" look to unmaximized FileMaker windows on the Windows platforms would also be a nice improvement.