Photo in container field not properly aligned with border

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v3

Operating system version

Windows XP SP3

Description of the issue

When printing a photo in a container field that has a border applied, the photo appears to be properly centered in the border in browse and preview modes, but on the actual printout, the border is slightly offset down and to the right.

This makes the border appear uneven, and may also cause the background to show between the border and the photo.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a table with a container field.
      Create a layout with this field on it, and with a border applied to the field.
      Format the field to reduce or enlarge image to fit.
      Do not select Maintain original proportions

Store a picture (BMP, JPEG, etc) in the field.
      Print the layout.

Expected result

Photo should have an equally sized border all around it as it appears on screen in preview mode.

Actual result

Contents of container are offset slightly down and to the right relative to the border, creating an uneven border and possibly a gap between the picture and the border on the top and left side.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

none

Configuration information

I have tried this with multiple different printers and drivers and by printing to PDF with the same results, it is not a printer-specific issue.

Workaround

Filling the background of the container field with the same color as the border will make the problem less noticeable, but doesn't resolve it.

fm_border_bug.PNG

• 1. Re: Photo in container field not properly aligned with border
          philmodjunk

What data formatting did you specify for the container field? I can't replicate this issue on my Windows XP, SP3 system.

• 2. Re: Photo in container field not properly aligned with border
            bmerc

My example was formatted as follows:

No fill, no fill effect, full borders, 2pt line weight

Data Formatting:

Reduce or enlarge image to fit

Maintain original proportions is unchecked.

I've been able to reproduce the issue on several XP SP3 machines and also on Windows Server 2003 and Server 2008.

Note that this doesn't happen if you create a PDF from within Filemaker, it only happens when I print to a Windows printer, including PDF printers like the Adobe PDF or PDFCreator. It also happens when printing to XPS file format, and of course to physical printers.

• 3. Re: Photo in container field not properly aligned with border
              philmodjunk

Note that this doesn't happen if you create a PDF from within Filemaker, it only happens when I print to a Windows printer, including PDF printers like the Adobe PDF or PDFCreator.

That would appear to be the difference as I used Save as PDF here. That also identifies a possible work around here--save as PDF then, if you need hard copy, print from the PDF rather than FileMaker.

• 4. Re: Photo in container field not properly aligned with border
                bmerc

Saving as PDF from FM would probably be a good workaround for many, but unfortunately, it doesn't help in my particular case, as we are doing high volume batch printing with multiple paper types. Also, the size of the FM-created PDfs is prohibitively big.

I've found that the container box itself prints in the correct location, it's only the image contents that is offset. (If you make the background color for the container red, and no border at all, the image shifts down and to the right one point from the container,appears to have a one-point red border applied to the top and left sides.

I've found that the image offset appears down one point and to the right one point from the actual container field, so what I'm doing as a workaround in my case is applying a background color to the container, and giving it a matching border color only on the bottom and right sides. The result looks off-center on screen, but prints correctly, which is the most important thing for our case.

Placing a separate box behind the container field is another option.