Summary

Placeholder text does not respect padding

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X Yosemite (Current)

Description of the issue

Placeholder text should respect padding associated with the "Normal" style, but it does not.  So, if we have placeholder text like, say, "N/A", that text sits out of alignment with surrounding fields that might align with the field containing the placeholder text.

While I think it is sufficient for placeholder text to respect the "Normal" style's padding, you could optionally allow padding to be set on placeholder text.

Thank you.

Expected result

Placeholder text should respect the padding associated with the "Normal" style.

Actual result

Placeholder text always sits at a padding of Left=0, Top=0, Bottom=0, and Right=0.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None

Configuration information

Not applicable

• 1. Re: Placeholder text does not respect padding
          Benjamin Fehr

Eric Taylor

With my system, Mac OS X 10.10.4*), Placeholder text does respect the padding associated with the "Normal" style √

• 2. Re: Placeholder text does not respect padding
            TSGal

Eric Taylor:

Thank you for your post.

Like "Benjamin Fehr", I am also unable to replicate the issue.

Delving into this further, I did find a way to change the alignment/padding of placeholder text from the Normal style if I used large font size for the placeholder text.  Is this a possibility?  If not, let me know what Theme you are using, font, style, etc., and I will try to replicate the issue here.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Placeholder text does not respect padding

TSGal, Benjamin:

I discovered what was going on: For some reason, positioning wasn't taking effect.  Based on the positioning that was set, there should have been no issues.  But the positioning was being ignored.  Once I set the positioning to something else, and then set it back, everything was fine.

The problem was hard to detect because it involved a disabled field with no borders (what I call an info field).  Positioning was causing the field to pull to the left 3 pixels, which, coincidentally, was the setting for left padding.  A 3-pixel pull to the left and a 3-pixel left padding led me to believe the problem was related to padding on the placeholder.

It was not.  So, I am withdrawing the bug report.

Thank you.