Summary

Pop up menu down arrow, not an option?

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OSX

Description of the issue

In FM 12, when a field is set as a popup menu, a down arrow (for the menu) is shown. There is not an option to turn the arrow off, as there is when a drop-down list (eg. show / hide arrow).

Now, my layouts, which rely on many, many, many, popup menus all are showing down arrows, making the over-all look unacceptably busy.

In previous versions of FM, a popup menu would not show an arrow.

There should be a show/hide arrow option for popup menus.

• 1. Re: Pop up menu down arrow, not an option?
          philmodjunk

Select the pop up menu formatted field and use the control near the top of the Inspector's appearance tab to remove all formatting. This will remove the arrow. It also removes other appearance settings such as rounded corners so you may want to work with one such field until you've put back any missing appearance settings and then copy/paste it to each of your layouts, using the Inspector's data tab to redirect the pasted field to different TableOccurrence::Field references and different value lists.

• 2. Re: Pop up menu down arrow, not an option?
            kurriss

Thank you!

Appreciate it considerably!

• 3. Re: Pop up menu down arrow, not an option?
              jdevans

can you be more specific about which "control near the top of the inspector's appearance tab" you speak of? I can't identify what it is.

In my case, the arrow is turned off, but I'd like to see it.

• 4. Re: Pop up menu down arrow, not an option?
                jdevans

can you be more specific about which "control near the top of the inspector's appearance tab" you speak of? I can't identify what it is.

In my case, the arrow is turned off, but I'd like to see it.

• 5. Re: Pop up menu down arrow, not an option?
                  beverly

This is an old thread and you may not get a reply.

beverly

• 6. Re: Pop up menu down arrow, not an option?
                    TSGal

jdevans:

Thank you for your posts.

In Layout Mode, select the field formatted as a Pop-up menu.  Then, in the Inspector, click the Appearance tab.  Just below the Theme and Style, there is a pop-up that probably shows "Pop-up Menu".  Click on this and select "Pop-up Menu: Icon".  This now gives you the ability to format the icon.  Assuming the field that is formatted as a Pop-up menu is being displayed white color and the arrow icon displayed black, in the "Graphic" section just below, change the Fill Color from black to either white or transparent.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Pop up menu down arrow, not an option?
                      jdevans

I found out the problem, as to why the down arrows on the popup menus weren't being displayed. It is the layout theme that is selected for that layout. It is "Enlightened Print". To test, I made a duplicate of the existing layout, then simply switched themes...BINGO. The arrows appeared. On the Enlightened Print theme, no matter how you set up the Appearance, the arrows won't show.

This seems kinda strange, but that's what I'm seeing.

• 8. Re: Pop up menu down arrow, not an option?
                        TSGal

jdevans:

I can confirm that under the "Enlightened Print" theme, the Pop-up Menu: Icon does not show unless the field is active.  This occurs under both Mac OS X 10.11.4 and Windows 8.1.  This issue also occurs for Drop-down list and Drop-down Calendar.

I have sent your posts along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Pop up menu down arrow, not an option?
                          TSGal

jdevans:

The "Enlightened Print" theme is designed for printing.  By design, it does not contain border or icon, and this will not change.

If you want a simple theme, Development and Testing suggest Basic -> Minimalist.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.