9 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2010 10:24 AM by ScarletJake

Pop Up Menu, Drop Down List

JLG

Summary

Pop Up Menu, Drop Down List & Drop Down Calendar quit working?

Description of the issue

Not sure what is going on, but once in a while all the Pop up menus, Drop down lists and Drop down calendars cease to function.  You can type in the field and it acts just like a regular edit box (only way to regain function is to restart Dbase). You don't see the quick flash that occurs when a script trigger interferes either. Not to mention ones that have no script triggers also fail and when the background script is not running.  Driving me crazy as I cannot make it occur.  Happens seemingly random with my Dbase users (and not on an often occurrence).  The Dbase runs 24/7 and may only get this error once a week (or less).  Everything functions as expected until this occurs and then a Dbase restart brings everything back to normal. The Dbase is for tracking the status of all our equipment operating in the facility in which I work.  There are about 20 tables for different items surrounding our day to day operations (shift turnover reports, morning reports, tracking equipment lockouts and various tags installed within the facility).  But the main table in constant use is Equipment status.  The layout for this particular table is a tabbed layout that displays all the equipment on a big screen display.  Scripts automatically rotate between tabs to provide visual of the different systems.  Only a single record is created on this table and facility operators (the users) modify this record via pop up menus, pull down lists and pull down calendars, but never create a new record (status bar and file menus are locked out for them).  The data from this single record is stored each shift (twice a day) via a shift turnover table.  When the error occurs, none of the menu types described function on any table, in any layout throughout the Dbase.  Some items have script triggers, some do not and one scripts runs continuously when Equip Status is displayed (for rotating the tabs).  Also forgot to add that some fields with menus are using conditional formatting to change the background field color (for adding a color cue to the status of a particular piece of equipment). Here is my question, are there any known circumstances that cause these menus to work fine for days, then without apparent cause, cease to function?  It does not appear to be script related as all scripts are activated daily and work fine.  Nothing occurs on a weekly (it is random, weekly is just a time frame for how often it may happen) basis that could be causing the error.  Very frustrating due the fact I cannot make the error occur. Thanks for any information.-=Jasen=-  Edit - Using Filemaker Pro & Advanced (10v2) on XP Pro SP3 systems.

• 1. Re: Pop Up Menu, Drop Down List & Drop Down Calendar quit working?
          TSGal

JLG:

Thank you for your post.

First, there are no known circumstances where either pop-up menus or drop-down lists cease to function.

These type of problems are difficult to reproduce, since they are random.  In the future, when this occurs, please make a note of what you were doing just prior to this.  It may be helpful.

Also, I recommend that you update to our latest version 10.0v3.  You can download the updates from our web site at:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/updaters/fmp_10.0v3_win_update

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Pop Up Menu, Drop Down List & Drop Down Calendar quit working?
            JLG

Wish I could get the error to occur myself, while using.  But it is my users reporting the error (and not getting a lot of feedback on what they were doing).  Also will be upgrading to 10.3 soon; the company I work for is a bit slow pushing out updates to all users (>10K computers).  Though I did experiment on one local computer for a while with 10.3 and still recieved reports of the error.  Should be moving the Dbase to Filemaker server shortly and maybe it will go away then....hehe...fingers crossed.

-=Jasen=-

• 3. Re: Pop Up Menu, Drop Down List & Drop Down Calendar quit working?
              TSGal

JLG:

Thanks for the additional information.

The next time this occurs with one of your users, try and find out what they were doing just prior.  Also, any information about their computer, OS, other applications running, etc. might prove useful.  Since this occurs randomly, going to FileMaker Server may not fix the problem, because the files would still be accessed by FileMaker Pro clients.  Please continue to keep me updated with any information as it occurs.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Pop Up Menu, Drop Down List & Drop Down Calendar quit working?
                JLG

Made a mistake in my earlier post.  Currently I have the error on screen an only drop down menus and calendars do not work.  The pop up menus do work.  Unfortunately my users did not have a clue as to what was happening when the error occurred.  I did note that only the system running the shared program is glitching.  Accessing it from another computer via filemaker sharing, everything works fine.  Both systems are running Xp Pro sp-3 and Filemaker 10v2.  I did place a refresh with flush on my daily backup script today to see if that will have any effect.

Anyway, just an update to the issue.

Thanks,

-=Jasen=-

• 5. Re: Pop Up Menu, Drop Down List & Drop Down Calendar quit working?
                  JLG

I have finally found at least one occurrence that causes the glitch mentioned in my posts above.  Users of my database can access a procedures section which is just a web viewer linked to the companies web based procedure index.  Once there, they select the procedure and it is shown as a PDF in the web viewer.  When printing, if they select the print button in the left corner of the web viewer (via the adobe plugin for IE), it opens the print dialog box behind the filemaker window.  This does not occur if they right click and select print or ctrl+P.  But if the user does not notice the hidden print dialog box (as the database stays running and displayed 24/7), it causes all of the drop down menus and drop down calendars not to function.  You can still access and type in the field, but the drop down portion does not work.  Any thoughts on why the print dialog opens behind filemaker using the PDF print button or why it effects the drop down menus?

Using IE 7, Windows XP Pro SP-3, Filemaker Pro & Advanced 10v3.

• 6. Re: Pop Up Menu, Drop Down List & Drop Down Calendar quit working?
                    TSGal

JLG:

Thanks for narrowing this down.

I have forwarded this entire thread to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  I will post again when I hear back from them.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Pop Up Menu, Drop Down List & Drop Down Calendar quit working?
                      scarletJake1

Has there been a fix for this issue?

We are using FM v8.5/9.0 and randomly the drop downs and calendars do not work. You can click inside of the field and type data into the field. Move on to another layout and come back and the layouts are workimg......stumped.

• 8. Re: Pop Up Menu, Drop Down List & Drop Down Calendar quit working?
                        JLG

scarletJake1 wrote:

Has there been a fix for this issue?

We are using FM v8.5/9.0 and randomly the drop downs and calendars do not work. You can click inside of the field and type data into the field. Move on to another layout and come back and the layouts are workimg......stumped.

Just for information, I switched to FM 10 Server  and have not noticed the issue any more.  Also might mention when my program did have the issue, switching layouts did not help my situation, but minimizing then restore did resolve it.

-=J

• 9. Re: Pop Up Menu, Drop Down List & Drop Down Calendar quit working?
                          ScarletJake

Thanks for the reply. Good to know that it isn't just us or the way we're designing our applications.

Not sure when we will be upgrading to FM 10 Server or 11 or beyond.  We just recently started to convert our v5.5 databases to v8.5. So until we upgrade our server I guess we'll have to put up with the issue or rework a few items if it becomes a nusance.