12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2015 1:23 PM by TSGal

Pop-Up Bug Crashes FMP14.  File attached.

smith7180

Summary

Pop-Up Bug Crashes FMP14.  File attached.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

14 32 bit

Operating system version

Windows 8.1 64 bit

Description of the issue

When exiting a pop up that triggers a script (either via a trigger on the pop up or on a field in the pop up), filemaker will crash.  I have created a simple database demonstrating the issue:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/klrp8qiaugetqmo/FMP14%20Pop-up%20Bug.zip?dl=0

Thanks,
      J Smith

Steps to reproduce the problem

See attached database

Workaround

If a pause script is inserted at the end of the trigger, the crash will not occur (even if the pause duration is specified as 0 seconds.

• 1. Re: Pop-Up Bug Crashes FMP14.  File attached.
          hschlossberg

Thanks for the sample file.  FWIW, it also crashes on Windows 7 (64 bit).

• 2. Re: Pop-Up Bug Crashes FMP14.  File attached.
            smith7180

Thanks- I appreciate the extra testing.

• 3. Re: Pop-Up Bug Crashes FMP14.  File attached.

Nice example! I just tested your file on MacOSX 10.10.3 and there is also crashes FM. So it is not platform depending

However I did take a closer look at your file and script and it seems you are trying to commit the change you made and refresh your screen by going to another layout and come back again ..... you may want to try the following:

Stay on the layout and just use the step "commit record", if you need to referesh the layout follow that step with a "refresh window". You will not need the pause anymore :)

• 4. Re: Pop-Up Bug Crashes FMP14.  File attached.
                philmodjunk

The layout change may be the issue rather than the popover. I tested a pair of scripts that did different things on popover exit that did not change layouts and there was no crash.

• 5. Re: Pop-Up Bug Crashes FMP14.  File attached.
                  smith7180

Menno- really appreciate you replicating the bug on OSX.  Gives me confidence that this isn't just an issue with my setup.  My reason for switching layouts is not to refresh anything.  In my actual database, I have an actual reason for switching layouts.  This database just represents the minimum possible steps to recreate the bug.  As far as I was able to determine, it requires a layout change- no more.

Phil- thanks.  Your input is of course always appreciated.  

My goal was to find the script steps that were both necessary and sufficient to reproduce the frequent crashing I was experiencing.  The layout change seems to be one of those steps- yes.  But having the script run on pop-over close and clicking on a portal outside of the pop-over (in order to cause the pop-up to close) also seem to be necessary.  I haven't otherwise had any issues with scripts that change layouts.

Thanks,

J

• 6. Re: Pop-Up Bug Crashes FMP14.  File attached.
                    TSGal

Smith7180:

Thank you for your posts.

I can confirm that the file crashes in FileMaker Pro 14.0.1 under Mac OS X 10.10.3 and Windows 8.1.  The file does not crash under FileMaker Pro 13.0.9.

Interestingly, if I change the field script trigger to the the script trigger with pause, a crash does not occur.  The only difference is a Pause/Resume script step of 0 seconds duration.  Disabling this step will also cause the crash.

I have forwarded your post to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Pop-Up Bug Crashes FMP14.  File attached.
                      philmodjunk

Yet other scripts don't cause a crash at all. Any info on which steps or which combination of steps result in the crash? I was suggesting earlier that the popover closure and layout change combination might be indicative of this issue, but that is just a guess on my part...

• 8. Re: Pop-Up Bug Crashes FMP14.  File attached.
                        smith7180

Thanks TSGal.  Glad to know you were able to reproduce the error.

Thanks Phil.  I'm sorry I must have been unclear in the example.  My point is that the crash only requires 3 things:

1. Script triggering on pop-up close
                        3. The trigger must be activated by clicking on a portal outside the pop up.
                        5. Layout change + return to original layout

So yes, in my experience the layout change is part of the problem.  Eliminate any of the 3 steps above and the bug does not occur.  Add any step to the three steps above and the bug remains unaffected (well, in my experience I should say.  I of course have not tried every combination of steps).  Except of course the pause step- I only thought to add that step because the bug does not occur when the debugger is running.  

Thanks.

• 9. Re: Pop-Up Bug Crashes FMP14.  File attached.
                          TSGal

Smith7180:

Testing and Development are already aware of this issue.  In their almost identical test, the Popover used the same script trigger of switching to another layout and back again, but instead of clicking on a portal to cause the crash, they clicked on another Popover.

The issue was sent to Development.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.   In the mean time, use the workaround of adding the Pause/Resume Script [0 seconds] to the original script, or use one of the other options posted by other forum members.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Pop-Up Bug Crashes FMP14.  File attached.
                            philmodjunk

apologies for not seeing the obvious.

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 11. Re: Pop-Up Bug Crashes FMP14.  File attached.
                              smith7180

This seems to be fixed, but I'd hate to revert all my scripts and receive a deluge of client bug reports.  I'm not sure how filemaker tracks errors, but I thought I'd ask: has this been marked as fixed?

By the way, I ask because inserting pause scripts closes the popovers from which I run scripts like this, but I'd prefer for the popover to remain open.

Thanks!

• 12. Re: Pop-Up Bug Crashes FMP14.  File attached.
                                TSGal

smith7180:

This appears to have been addressed in FileMaker Pro 14.0.3.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.