4 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2010 9:29 AM by philmodjunk

Pop-up field displays incorrect value

comment_1

Summary

Pop-up field displays incorrect value

Description of the issue

A field formatted as pop-up menu displays incorrect or no value from the second field after selection has been made.To reproduce the problem, create a file with the following fields (or download the demo file from here):
      • SerialID - Number, Auto-enter serial number
      • Name - Text
      • Mark - Number
      • cMarkedSerial - Calculation (result is Number) = Case ( Mark ; SerialID )
      • cMarkedName - Calculation (result is Text) = Case ( Mark ; Name )
      • gSelect - Number, Global

Define two value lists:
      • "Marked" - use values from cMarkedSerial, also display values from Name
      • "Marked 2" - use values from cMarkedSerial, also display values from cMarkedName

Place two instances of the gSelect field on the layout and format them as pop-up menu, using the above value lists.

Populate the table as follows:
      SerialID    Name      Mark
      1           Alpha     
      2           Bravo      1
      3           Charlie            
      4           Delta      1
      5           Echo     

At this point, both value lists show correctly the two marked values:
      2    Bravo
      4    Delta

But after you select 2 Bravo, the fields display "2 Charlie" and "2" respectively.

And after you select 4 Delta, the fields display "4 Echo" and "4" respectively.

This is true for versions 10 and 9 under both OS X and Windows. I have also tested version 8.5 under OS X - this also returns incorrect results, albeit different ones (2 Alpha and 4 Charlie).

• 1. Re: Pop-up field displays incorrect value
          philmodjunk

I tried replicating the bug and couldn't at first replicate it. After downloading the example file and comparing differences, I can confirm it. I can also report a simple work around that may eliminate the issue in some cases. 

If you specify sorting on the second column, the pop-up will then display the correct values. This may not be acceptable in some circumstances as you may need the specified order to be based on the first column.

• 2. Re: Pop-up field displays incorrect value
            TSGal

comment:

Thank you taking the time to document this.  I can definitely duplicate the problem.

Your entire post, file, and my findings have been forwarded to Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  I will keep you informed.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Pop-up field displays incorrect value
              LaRetta_1

This is still broken in vs. 11 (Windows).  I don't recall it being listed in the Known Bugs thread either.

UPDATE:  By the way, Phil's suggestion of sorting by the second field doesn't work properly on Windows (vs. 11; I haven't tested it in prior versions)  if I understood the suggestion.  The only change I made was to Marked value list, selecting 'sort values by second field.'  The pop-up changed from displaying:

2 Bravo

4 Delta

... to:

Alpha

2 Bravo

Charlie

4 Delta

Echo

And if Echo is selected, nothing is inserted into the field (which is logical because it doesn't have a value from the first field). I don't see this as workaround - Users would go nuts.

• 4. Re: Pop-up field displays incorrect value
                philmodjunk

Good catch. Filemaker 10 performs identically here. Apparently, I looked at the values in the field and saw that sorting on the second column fixed the display for the "marked" values but didn't notice the results you are reporting. Muy Bad...

This bug is found on the first page of the known bug list v2.