1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2016 3:13 PM by hschlossberg

Popover button setup dialog freezes FM

Stu412

Summary

Popover button setup dialog freezes FM

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

While setting up popovers, the popover set up dialog box will cause a freeze in the system when clicked.  This takes a varying amount of time to unfreeze and allow work to continue

Steps to reproduce the problem

Click to edit a popover, click the popover set up dialog

Expected result

It should work rapidly

Actual result

It freezes FM

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None

Workaround

Wait

• 1. Re: Popover button setup dialog freezes FM
          TSGal

Stu412:

Thank you for your post.

Using FileMaker Pro 14.0.1 under Windows 7, I am unable to replicate the issue.  When I create a Popover, I am able to give the Popover a name (TEST), the Popover button a label (Press me), and apply a script trigger, all within a few seconds.  There is no delay.

Do you have any plug-ins installed?  If so, temporarily disable and/or remove them.

Temporarily exit all other applications and try again.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down possible causes.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Popover button setup dialog freezes FM
            philmodjunk

Can you also confirm that these delays occur in a brand new file created specifically to test this issue?

Is this a file with external data source references to other files?

I frequently get delays in Filemaker when an action causes other files not currently open to open. Many set up dialogs will trigger such an action though I haven't seen it happen with setting up a popover.

• 3. Re: Popover button setup dialog freezes FM
              mislav

I'm seeing this issue too.

I'm using FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.6 on one of my client's computers which is running Windows Server 2012 R2. I don't know if this is a factor, but the database file I'm working on is fairly big.

As soon as I open the button setup dialog, FileMaker Pro freezes up for about a minute. It eventually comes back, but then freezes up again whenever I try to interact with the dialog. After a few times like this, it starts working normally. But then if I close the button setup dialog and reopen it, the whole thing starts up again.

>> Is this a file with external data source references to other files? I frequently get delays...

The file does have external data references, but the behavior I'm seeing is not due to these other files opening. I'm familiar with that kind of delay, and what I'm seeing is not that.

>>Temporarily exit all other applications and try again.

FileMaker Pro Advanced is the only application that is running.

>> Do you have any plug-ins installed?  If so, temporarily disable and/or remove them.

Here are the installed plugins, with the version returned by Get(InstalledFMPlugins) in parenthesis: BaseElements (3.1), File Manipulator v4.0.0.0 (3, 0, 0, 1), Mailit (6.0.0b13). I disabled all of them and reopened the database file, and the problem persisted.

• 4. Re: Popover button setup dialog freezes FM
                hschlossberg

This sounds exactly like the memory leak issue that's been reported across a few different threads.  For me, the button setup dialog is the core place where the app's high memory usage is most obvious.  I believe it also adds to the memory usage each time it opens.

• 5. Re: Popover button setup dialog freezes FM
                  TSGal

mislav:

Does the issue also occur with a clone of the file?  If so, I would like to see the cloned file so I can test it here.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Popover button setup dialog freezes FM
                    mislav

I've now observed this behavior with a different file and using FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.1.119. The common factors are that I'm doing this from the same machine and with the same three plugins - see my earlier post for details.

When I close FMP and reopen it, the issue goes away.

TSGal, since I've now seen this with two different files, do you still want a clone of one of them?

• 7. Re: Popover button setup dialog freezes FM
                      TSGal

mislav:

Yes, please send in a file.  Use the instructions from the private message, and be sure to provide instructions how to reproduce the freeze.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Popover button setup dialog freezes FM
                        TSGal

mislav:

The file has been received.  Thank you.

So far, I have been unable to replicate the freeze.  I will leave the file open all day and continue testing from time to time.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Popover button setup dialog freezes FM
                          hschlossberg

As always, @TSGal, your efforts on this are appreciated.  While I invite you to try to replicate this with only leaving it open all day and testing occasionally, I will be surprised if you are able to replicate it that way.  What this one requires in my experience is frequent use of button and popover definitions (or probably also slide panel definitions or script step option definitions) over a 2-3 hour period of typical developer use across a combination of any one or more open databases.

Howard

• 11. Re: Popover button setup dialog freezes FM
                            Benjamin Fehr

I wonder if TS is using MBS PlugIn. monkeybreadsoftware Christian certainly likes to explain

RemoteControl.ClickMouse

RemoteControl.MoveMouse

functions to build a test routine

• 12. Re: Popover button setup dialog freezes FM
                              TSGal

Benjamin Fehr:

You said:

> I wonder if TS is using MBS PlugIn.

If "TS" is referring to me, then no.  I do not have any plug-ins installed/enabled.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Popover button setup dialog freezes FM
                                monkeybreadsoftware

If you use Mac for work, you should just install it to get the Mac goodies in script workspace.

• 14. Re: Popover button setup dialog freezes FM
                                  Benjamin Fehr

With "TS", I'm referring to FMI Tech Support Department.

I just thought that MBS PlugIn would be a valuable tool for such kind of testing routines.

1 2 Previous Next