11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2015 7:29 PM by user12479

Popover with a .PNG image scaled to fit - sometimes do not display in WebDirect

user12479

Summary

Popover with a .PNG image scaled to fit - sometimes do not display in WebDirect

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

v14

Operating system version

Windows, Macintosh

Description of the issue

Popover, with a .PNG file inserted and placed as scaled to fit (maybe other placements fail, too) fail to reliably display for WebDirect users.  Chrome and Safari users both experience the problem.  I do not have results to report regarding failure on either PC or OSX.  Some days/users the graphics display - other days/users the graphics fail to display.  The failure to display the graphic is inconsistent.   Sorry - this issue was originally posted as a problem with 'buttons' but in fact I wish to correct the issue to post it as an issue with 'popovers'.

Steps to reproduce the problem

None - inconsistent behavior

Expected result

To always see the graphic pasted on the button

Actual result

Inconsistent display of the graphic.

Configuration information

Failed in WebDirect hosted by FMS v13.  Now failing in WebDirect hosted by FMS v14.

Workaround

none - nothing seems to work to force the graphic to reliably display.  Do you have any suggestions ?

• 1. Re: Popover with a .PNG image scaled to fit - sometimes do not display in WebDirect
          user12479

Sorry - this issue was originally posted as a problem with 'buttons' but in fact I wish to correct the issue to post it as an issue with 'popovers'.

• 2. Re: Popover with a .PNG image scaled to fit - sometimes do not display in WebDirect
            TSGal

Ron Papajcik:

Thank you for your posts.

Inconsistent issues are difficult to track down.  Therefore, I'll need some additional information.

Does this only occur with PNG files?  That is, have you see the issue with JPG, GIF or TIF files?

Does this only occur with a specific layout?  That is, if you create a new layout with the Container field in the Popover, do you get the same inconsistency?

If you don't have the Popover, does the image always appear?

If you have the Container set to something other than Resize to fit, does the image appear?

What are the coordinates of the Popover?  What are the coordinates of the Container field?

Are you using a built-in theme or a custom theme?  If a custom theme, create a new layout with a built-in theme, place the popover and Container field on the layout and try again.

What browser (or browsers) are you using?  What version(s)?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible causes.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Popover with a .PNG image scaled to fit - sometimes do not display in WebDirect
              user12479

Does this only occur with PNG files?  That is, have you see the issue with JPG, GIF or TIF files?

I HAVE SEEN THE SAME ISSUE WITH JPG FILES.

Does this only occur with a specific layout?  That is, if you create a new layout with the Container field in the Popover, do you get the same inconsistency?

THIS DOES OCCUR ON OTHER LAYOUTS.  NO CONTAINER FIELDS ARE INVOLVED.  I AM USING THE INSPECTOR / GRAPHIC / FILL MENU ITEM TO SELECT AN IMAGE (NOW USING PNG AS AN EXPERIMENT WHEN THE ORIGINAL JPG IMAGE SOMETIMES FAILS), THEN USUALLY PICKING 'SCALE TO FIT'.

If you don't have the Popover, does the image always appear?

THIS IS ALL ABOUT POPOVERS WITH THE GRAPHIC / FILL / IMAGE / SCALE TO FIT.  NOTHING GOING ON HERE WITH JUST AN IMAGE.

If you have the Container set to something other than Resize to fit, does the image appear?

NO CONTAINER INVOLVED

What are the coordinates of the Popover?  What are the coordinates of the Container field?

NO CONTAINER INVOLVED

Are you using a built-in theme or a custom theme?  If a custom theme, create a new layout with a built-in theme, place the popover and Container field on the layout and try again.

BUILT-IN THEME

What browser (or browsers) are you using?  What version(s)?

CHROME AND SAFARI, LATEST VERSIONS

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible causes.

THE ONLY OBVIOUS OTHER INFORMATION IS THAT IT DOES SEEM TO WORK FOR SOME PEOPLE, MOST OF THE TIME, WITH THEIR USUAL BROWSER.  WHILE, OTHER PEOPLE CAN NEVER GET IT TO WORK USING SUPPORTED BROWSER.

AS A WORKAROUND, I HAVE PLACED THE PNG IMAGE IN THE BACK OF THE LAYOUT AND PLACED THE POPOVER EXACTLY OVER THE PNG IN THE FRONT AND MADE IT TRANSPARENT.  BUT, IT SEEMS THAT A GRAPHIC INSERTED INTO THE POPOVER SHOULD WORK.  THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

• 4. Re: Popover with a .PNG image scaled to fit - sometimes do not display in WebDirect
                TSGal

Ron Papajcik:

My apologies.  Your answers helped clear up a LOT of misinformation on my end.  My initial thought was the image appeared in a Container field in the Popover itself; not the Popover button.

For those users who can never see the image, is there any common denominator?  For example, are all those clients running Windows or Mac computers?  Are those computers running the latest release of the operating system (Windows and/or Mac)?

FileMaker Server 14 is installed on what kind of machine?  Operating system and version?

I have several computers available to me, so I would like to closely match your computing environment.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Popover with a .PNG image scaled to fit - sometimes do not display in WebDirect
                  TSGal

Ron Papajcik:

I am unable to replicate the issue.  With a file hosted by FileMaker Server 14, the screen shot below shows the hosted file being accessed by FileMaker Pro 14.0.1, and the right side shows the file accessed by Web Direct using Chrome 43.  The Popover button has an image "beatles.png" with Scale to Fit.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Popover with a .PNG image scaled to fit - sometimes do not display in WebDirect
                    user12479

I agree that it works as expected with FM Client - the problem is using a browser to access the popover.

No image when viewing with browser

Image displays as expected with client.

thanks

• 7. Re: Popover with a .PNG image scaled to fit - sometimes do not display in WebDirect
                      TSGal

Ron Papajcik:

The right-hand side of my screen shot shows Chrome browser being used, accessing the file via Web Direct, and the PNG image in the Popover button being displayed.

Feel free to send me a private message with your server information, and I'll access your file with FileMaker Pro and Web Direct.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Popover with a .PNG image scaled to fit - sometimes do not display in WebDirect
                        user12479

To answer your earlier request ...

My apologies.  Your answers helped clear up a LOT of misinformation on my end.  My initial thought was the image appeared in a Container field in the Popover itself; not the Popover button.

For those users who can never see the image, is there any common denominator?  For example, are all those clients running Windows or Mac computers?  Are those computers running the latest release of the operating system (Windows and/or Mac)?

If there is a common denominator, it would be the clients that report the error to me (there may  be others, of course) are Macintosh using Chrome or Safari

FileMaker Server 14 is installed on what kind of machine?  Operating system and version?

Macintosh Mini, OSX 10.*; hosted service by Productive Computing.  I will verify the exact configuration.

I have several computers available to me, so I would like to closely match your computing environment.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Popover with a .PNG image scaled to fit - sometimes do not display in WebDirect
                          TSGal

Ron Papajcik:

My first test was the file hosted with FileMaker Server 14.0.2 on a Macintosh tower running Mac OS X 10.10.3, and the client machine an iMac with Mac OS X 10.10.3 with Chrome 43.  I just accessed the file again via Web Direct using Safari 8.0.6 with the same results.  I will look for a Mac Mini server to test.

Since Productive Computing is a well-known FileMaker plug-in developer, has Productive Computing been able to access your files and replicate the issue?

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Popover with a .PNG image scaled to fit - sometimes do not display in WebDirect
                            user12479

Here's the server configuration.

MacMini (Late 2014 model)
                            Processor: 3 GHZ Intel Core i7
                            RAM: 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
                            HD Capacity: 511.25 GB
                            OS 10.10.3
                            FileMaker Server 14.0.1.204

I will attempt to load a backup which has the problem so you can see it.

This might take until next week.

thanks

• 11. Re: Popover with a .PNG image scaled to fit - sometimes do not display in WebDirect
                              user12479

Thanks for your research on this issue.

I can not make the problem occur repeatedly.  At the original time of posting this issue, some users with some browsers failed - while others worked as expected.  I tried to reproduce the problem repeatedly with a backup copy of the database - but I can not get it to fail.  At this point, we have worked around the issue by making the popover transparent and in the foreground and placing a graphic behind it in the background.  This has worked reliably.  Consider this issue closed.

regards,

Ron Papajcik