Popover with sorted portal will crash FM

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v1

Operating system version

Mac 10.9.1 and Windows

Description of the issue

Popover with a sorted portal can cause FM to quit unexpectedly.
      The portal has several fields displayed and is sorted by one of the displayed fields.
      When this occurs it is during the sorting process where it will hang and then quit.

For a small number of portal records this has not been observed and prior to placing in a popover in FM 13 this was used without an issue.

In this example there are about 90 records but the portal is 9 long with no bottom anchor.

Steps to reproduce the problem

This issue is hard to replicate but generally occurs upon initial start of FM and the first logon. If it does quit FM can be relaunched and the login is usually successful.

Expected result

No quitting, sort the record in a portal, in a popover with success.

Do not what to hear about the number of items in the portal being to large.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Nothing only the error report that can be sent to Apple.

I have a copy of the data dump that can be sent to Apple.

I could like to send if necessary.

Workaround

Doing some testing with a client without the sorting.

• 1. Re: Popover with sorted portal will crash FM
          TSGal

Gerard Beutler:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue using FileMaker Pro 13.0v1 on both Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.9.1.  I have followed your instructions using a sorted portal with 100 records and three fields.  The portal is 9 records in height and resides in the Popover.  I've tried a number of ways to make this crash including directly upon opening, working with other files and returning to this layout, skipping through records in the same table, etc.

Therefore, I would like to see our file as well as the crash report.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the files.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Popover with sorted portal will crash FM
            GerardBeutler

I figured that  was the response I was to receive, replication is nearly impossible as this is the normal response to any issue from FM.

I can send you the crash report but I will not send a copy of the FM files for one primary reason, it is our solution and trust is always an issue.

It was hard enough to release for review for SBA approval.

I will gladly do a webinar and TRY to get it to quit, but it could take many many tries.

• 3. Re: Popover with sorted portal will crash FM
              TSGal

Gerard Beutler:

It is not a "normal response to any issue from FM".  If I can replicate it, I'll let you know.  For example, see the issue that was reported today:

Get(WindowName) in popover ignores context

Feel free to send along the crash report.  I'll look it over and determine what is causing the crash.  Follow the same instructions supplied in the private message.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Popover with sorted portal will crash FM
                TSGal

Gerard Beutler:

I received your crash report.  Thank you.

Although centered on a layout object and mouse up event, I have sent the file to our Testing and Development departments for review.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

I have sent a file to our Technical Support contact that was the file I was using for testing.  Let me know if the file crashes for you, and also let me know what else to try on my end to replicate the issue.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Popover with sorted portal will crash FM
                  GerardBeutler

Just had another crash of performing this same event.

I believe that I am getting closer to understanding what I can do to make it fail more quickly when using my solution.

First of all another observation that I have seen with FMP Advanced.
                       When I have been in the solution for an extended period of time do a bunch of development, adding new objects, adding features to the objects and such. Then return to browse mode and then use the normal exit script that are in the solution it can take about a minute to perform the script but from a fresh start performing the same script it is nearly instantaneous.

On the recent crash I was in another solution doing a number of modification to a script,running scripts by stepping over several times. Then I went to the solution with the popover issue without exiting any of the previous solutions and while in the sort process it quit. I restarted FMPA reopened the solution and it work immediately.

From my observation and experience, I would suggest a memory management issue.
                       Something is not getting cleared in memory and then the resultant crash.

I do not believe that I can ever get the simple solution that was provided to crash.

I am available for further discussion.

• 6. Re: Popover with sorted portal will crash FM
                    TSGal

Gerard Beutler:

Thanks for the additional information.

Can you provide a bit more on the exit script?  That is, generally, what is the exit script doing?  Are you summarizing data for the day's activity?

Is the file hosted with others accessing the data?  Are you accessing the file remotely?

Since this happens over an extended period of time, are other applications active at the time?  If so, is FileMaker Pro accessing virtual memory?

In case the portal is the cause (since the crash always occurs with the portal), do you have a vertical scroll bar enabled with the portal?  What field types are being referenced in the portal?  Any other information you can provide about the portal may help.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Popover with sorted portal will crash FM
                      GerardBeutler

The solution with the issue occurs when being accessed remotely on a development machine.
                           The machine is local to the network I am on.
                           Generally I am the only person on this machine connecting via open remote.

The exit script is simple:
                           Dialog asking if they want to exit.
                           A find and then do a replace on selects fields to null, this is usually one record.
                           Close the databases.

Other applications, yes.
                           The only other apps on my machine running at these times would be a browser, mail, messaging and contacts.

The memory for FMPA is:
                           Real 510MB
                           Virtual 1.66GB
                           Shared 96.1MB
                           Private 421.4MB

If you need me to do some other data collection give me the procedures you would like me to implement to do further testing.

The portal does have a vertical scroll bar enabled.
                           All of the data is text and the sort field is a text field.
                           Doing the sort on <<Project_Active_List::Client_Last_Name_1>>

Example:

<<Project_Active_List::Job_Number>>
                           <<Project_Active_List::Client_Last_Name_1>>, <<Project_Active_List::Client_First_Name_1>>
                           <<Project_Active_List::Installation_Address>>
                           <<Project_Active_List::Installation_City>>, <<Project_Active_List::Installation_State>> <<Project_Active_List::Installation_ZIP>>
                      • 8. Re: Popover with sorted portal will crash FM
                        TSGal

Gerard Beutler:

Our Testing department has confirmed your crash report is similar to an issue they have been tracking.  In essence, a crash occurs when invoking a Popover when a progress dialog is displayed at the same time.  The crash can also occur when index progress is displayed when invoking a Popover.  The issue neither occurs with a slide control or tab control object, nor does it occur under Windows.

Your report has been linked to the original report.

When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Popover with sorted portal will crash FM
                          GerardBeutler

I can confirm that the crash occurs when the index progress is displayed.

I will need to investigate when my Windows clients are getting booted out but not due to loss of communication.

On the long logout after doing significant development changes, let me know what I can do to get info about this issue.
                               I have  not had it crash but just wait until it is complete and all is generally fine.

Thank you.

• 10. Re: Popover with sorted portal will crash FM
                            philmodjunk
                            An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.
                            • 11. Re: Popover with sorted portal will crash FM
                              TSGal

Gerard Beutler (et al):

As I'm reviewing old posts, this appears to have been fixed in FileMaker Pro 13.0v2.

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.