Portal not showing all related records.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

V13

Operating system version

MAC OSX

Description of the issue

When pulling records from related table using portal, the portal displays only first matching record.

For example we have three tables related
      Customer (customer ID) -> Opportunity (Opp. ID) -> Opportunity Line item

Customer is linked to Opportunity using customer ID, and Opportunity table is linked to Opp.Line Item table using Opp ID.
      One customer record can have multiple opportunities record and one opportunities can have multiple line items to it.

So on the customer Layout (thats pulling records from customer table) we put a portal to pull the records for matching opportunities (portal was set up to pull records from Opportunities table) and all the line items under each opportunity, so at the end the portal should be displaying all the line items per customer.

For example
      Customer 1 has Opp 1 and Opp 2, and each Opp 1 has line items line item 1 , line item 2, line item 3 ...

on the portal we pull the records from Opportunity table, but interestingly only first matching line item record is displayed and rest is ignored.

Please see the screenshots of the relationship.

What am I missing?should portal be pulling all the records from line items for matching opportunity ID on Opportunity and Line item table?

Regards

Pasted_Image_3_26_14_11_34_AM.jpg

• 1. Re: Portal not showing all related records.
          TSGal

Vijay Shankar Venkatachalam:

Thank you for your post.

First, when I look at the Relationships graph, the link between SFOpportunity and SFOpportunitylineitem appears to be a cartesian join.  I can't tell for sure unless you move the "splash" table to the side.  Can you verify?

Next, since you have a many-to-many relationship between SFOpportunity and SFOpportunitlineitem tables, you could set a portal for SFOpportunitylineitem inside the SFOpportunity portal to display the sub-records for each SFOpportunity record displayed.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Portal not showing all related records.
            philmodjunk

since you have a many-to-many relationship between SFOpportunity and SFOpportunitlineitem tables, you could set a portal for SFOpportunitylineitem inside the SFOpportunity portal to display the sub-records for each SFOpportunity record displayed.

WHAT!!!

You can't put a portal inside a portal! Or did you guys sneak something into FileMaker 13 and not say anything?

• 3. Re: Portal not showing all related records.
              TSGal

PhilModJunk:

My apologies.  You are correct.  I looked at an old solution where I had a portal inside a portal, and I realized the sub-portal, although it appears inside a portal, is not part of that outside portal.  Looking at my solution, I realized I did not need the outside portal since it was set fto display one record (many-to-one), and I should have just removed the outside portal and replaced it with the related fields, and then the sub-portal stands alone.

Getting back to the customer issue, assuming there is a cartesian join between SFOpportunity and SFOppurtunitylineitem tables, is to create a layout based on the SFOpportunity table, with a portal into SFOpportunitylineitem table, with a portal filter of SFOpportunity::ID = SFOpportunity::OpportunityID and set this to List View.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.