Portal Row Conditional Value List Checkbox Display Issue

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12v01

Operating system version

Windows XP

Description of the issue

When a portal row field displays a conditional value list as a checkbox set all rows display the checkboxes of the first portal row until the field is made active, in which case the correct checkbox set is displayed.

Steps to reproduce the problem

For example:

- portal Field A determines the value list displayed for Field B
      - when Field A contains "X" Field B value list items are "A, B, C"
      - when Field A contains "Y" Field B value list items are "1, 2, 3"
      - create portal row 1 and 2
      - set row 1 Field A to value "X": row 1 Field B displays value list items "A, B, C"
      - set row 2 Field A to value "Y": row 2 Field B displays value list items "A, B, C" (expected value list items "1, 2, 3")
      - click on row 2 Field B: row 2 Field B displays value list items "1, 2, 3"
      - click outside of row 2 Field B: row 2 Field B reverts to value list items "A, B, C"

The radio button set format also displays this behavior but the drop-down list or pop-up menu does not.

Expected result

Each portal row displays the conditional value list checkbox set associated with that row.

Actual result

Each portal row displays the conditional value list checkbox set associated with row 1.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

n/a

Configuration information

This is only a problem in FileMaker 12. I created a test file in FM 11 which displays the checkbox set properly. When I converted the file to FM 12 the behaviour changed.

I have 2 simple test files I can provide that illustrate the problem: a FM 11 file that behaves as expected, the same file converted to FM 12 that exhibits the problem behaviour.

Workaround

None I am aware of.

• 1. Re: Portal Row Conditional Value List Checkbox Display Issue
          DouglasHilton

I found a solution!

Source of the problem: The contents of conditional value list are determined by the first record in the relationship specified in the value list definition. And, the first record is determined by the sort order defined on the relationship.

Work-around: Ensure that the relationship sort sequence always places the records displayed in the portal first:

- create a global field, gPortalRecordType, that allows the user to select one of the possible values for Field A
          - create a calc field, cPortalSortOrder, on the portal record (= If (FieldA = gPortalRecordType; 0; 1))
          - define a sort on the relationship specified in the value list definition based on cPortalSortOrder
          - define a portal filter: FieldA = gPortalRecordType

• 2. Re: Portal Row Conditional Value List Checkbox Display Issue
            chuckburr

The solution is too complex. It should be easy to have a conditional/related value list work based on the currently selected portal row without creating global junk fields.