5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2015 3:15 PM by scottworld

Possible bug when exporting subsummaries??

scottworld

Summary

Possible bug when exporting subsummaries??

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

14.0v1

Operating system version

OS X 10.10.4

Description of the issue

Hi there,

We've discovered a problem when exporting subsummaries from FileMaker. Not sure if this is a bug in the product or not, but it is not what we were expecting. We made a movie of this issue here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2473414/subsummary_problem.mov

Do you guys know if there any way to workaround this issue, or is this a bug in the product?

Thanks,
      Scott

• 1. Re: Possible bug when exporting subsummaries??
          TSGal

scotty321:

Thank you for your post and video.

This is expected behavior.  When you are sub-summarizing by two fields, the primary field will only display once while the secondary field changes, even if you only have a sub-summary part by the secondary field.  In your example, the State displays once while the City in that summarized State changes.  If you want the State to display for each City, then create a Calculation field that equals the primary field (in your case, State), and sort by the Calculation field and the secondary field.  Then, when you export the primary field and secondary field, you will see the primary field value for each secondary field value.

To be more specific, create a calculation field "State Sort", and sort your database by "State Sort" and "City".  Then, when exporting, select the fields "State" and "City" (as well as Quantity Sum by City).

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Possible bug when exporting subsummaries??
            scottworld

Thanks so much for this workaround, TSGal. I will try that workaround later on today!! QUESTION: Do you believe that the current exporting behavior of FileMaker should be the way that it remains in the future? It seems like when somebody exports data from FileMaker, that they would always want/expect every single row (record) to contain data in every single field (when that data is available). Do you think that the current exporting behavior should be changed in future versions of FileMaker, to match people's expectations better?

• 3. Re: Possible bug when exporting subsummaries??
              TSGal

scotty321:

The current exporting behavior has been this way for several years, and I recall users wanting this (current) behavior.  I'm not advocating any specific way but wanted to provide you some background.  I do not make the decisions, so the best place to submit this change is the Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

All entries into this web form are read by Product Management and Development, and then discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.  Although I could copy your posts and paste them into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked on the form that only you can answer.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Possible bug when exporting subsummaries??
                scottworld

Cool, thanks for the info, TSGal.

• 5. Re: Possible bug when exporting subsummaries??
                  scottworld

Thanks, TSGal -- I just tried your workaround and it worked perfectly. I also submitted feedback using the Feature Request form.

Best,

Scott