Summary

Pre-selected text in new FM-14 calculation dialog

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS-X 10.10.4

Description of the issue

If any text already exists in any calculation dialog (field definition , script step, etc) and you click to view the calculation dialog, such as to edit it, you will see that the entire calculation is selected by default.

This is a PITA nuisance, because if you don't make a habit of de-selecting the block of text before you type even a single keystroke, your entire calculation is replaced by whatever you typed.  Undo does not restore it, so you must remember to close it without saving it or else it's totally gone.

There is no reason to pre-select the entire calculation text.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Use the SendMail script step, just to take a common example   Define the body of the email message to be a lengthy, complex calculation.  Then, test it out and realize that you have to make some spelling changes, or perhaps insert different fields into the calculation.

You click the button on the right side of the definition of the message body to use a calculation.  The calculation dialog box opens, and everything you previously wrote is selected.  Now, type any character or select any field from the list of fields and it will overwrite your previously written calculation.

Expected result

Either you should be able to use UNDO to correct the keystroke error or the text should not be pre-selected in the first place.

There is no advantage at all to having it preselected.  It only makes it vulnerable to wasted time or lost definitions.

Actual result

There is no advantage at all to having it preselected.  It only makes it vulnerable to wasted time or lost definitions.

Workaround

Make sure to de-select any existing text any time the calculation dialog is opened.

• 1. Re: Pre-selected text in new FM-14 calculation dialog

Dennis Burnham:

Thank you for the post.

Is there a previous version of FileMaker Pro where this behavior did not occur? I tested FileMaker Pro 11 (Advanced), FileMaker Pro 12 (Advanced), FileMaker Pro 13 (Advanced), and FileMaker Pro 14 (Advanced) and all four versions behave consistently i.e. the entire calculation dialog text is highlighted upon opening.

Given the behavior is consistent across four versions, this appears to be by design; however, if you would like to see a change in this behavior, I would encourage you to enter this as a suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These web form suggestions are monitored and read by our Development and Product Management departments and then discussed and considered for a future release. Although I could copy and paste your post into the web form, there are some questions asked that only you can answer.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Pre-selected text in new FM-14 calculation dialog
            kaosmaker

I think what is different about this behavior is that it highlights the entire calculation *whenever you re-enter Filemaker*.

Meaning, if I'm switching back and forth between, say, the Data Viewer, or any other already opened calculation engine window, to some outside window for the purposes of copy/pasting sections of text into the calculation, each time I return to the calculation box it highlights the entire text. Even if I don't accidentally copy/paste over my calculation, if my calculation is very long (very often the case), I have to scroll tediously to return to my place.

• 3. Re: Pre-selected text in new FM-14 calculation dialog
              dburnham

All I'm saying is that there is no good reason to automatically pre-select everything in the calculation dialog, and the fact it has been that way for several versions in the past is not, in my opinion, a good reason to preserve it if others agree with me that it's not necessary.   It requires you to click at the end of the calculation BEFORE typing anything else if you want to append new text to what is already there, and if you intend to insert something new in the beginning or the middle you have to carefully place your cursor in the insertion point AFTER making sure that you have first de-selected the text.

When defining a field's properties in the Go To Field script step, the select property is optional.  If you don't select it, the cursor goes to the and of the existing field value.  The same behavior should be operative in the calculation dialog unless there's a good reason for "Select All" to the the default.

It may seem like a little thing, but anybody who has ever lost a calculation that's not easy to recreate will understand.  And even if you haven't lost it, just having to cancel and reopen the calculation dialog is a nuisance because UNDO is not implemented in the calculation dialog.

• 4. Re: Pre-selected text in new FM-14 calculation dialog
                hschlossberg

TS Gal said:

Is there a previous version of FileMaker Pro where this behavior did not occur? I tested FileMaker Pro 11 (Advanced), FileMaker Pro 12 (Advanced), FileMaker Pro 13 (Advanced), and FileMaker Pro 14 (Advanced) and all four versions behave consistently i.e. the entire calculation dialog text is highlighted upon opening.

I don't know how it's always worked on Mac, but this IS completely new behavior on Windows.  While I haven't reported this as a bug, it IS a change from 13 -- a very undesirable one at that. 

• 5. Re: Pre-selected text in new FM-14 calculation dialog

@howards:

Thank you for the reply.

“this IS completely new behavior on Windows.”

I apologize. I only tested FileMaker Pro 14 (Advanced) on Windows and not earlier versions. You are correct that this appears to be a design change in FileMaker Pro 14 (Advanced). 

@All:

Although this behavior appears to be an intentional design change, I submitted this thread and all comments to Development and Testing for review. Please feel free to additionally submit a feature request at the link above as any suggestion coming from a customer will be useful to our Product Managers when considering whether or not to keep the current behavior. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Pre-selected text in new FM-14 calculation dialog
                    dburnham

I admit I did not test it on Windows, but I did confirm that (as you say) it's consistent with previous Macintosh versions.

The thing is, it shouldn't be.  For whatever reason it went unnoticed in the past, it's not healthy to automatically select calculation text.  I've already submitted my comments as a feature request, but I think that some latitude should be given to something that is a bug, regardless whether it escaped notice in previous version.

For example -- we have not been able to specify the size and position of Custom Dialogs ever since the script step replaced Custom Message.  They fixed the bug with the commit checkbox on all three message choices and we got the ability to specify size and position for New Windows - but we still have users often complaining that they can't see all the text in the Custom Dialog.

Some things have been reported for several years, across several versions, such as the fact that there is a function called Get(WindowName) and a script step called Set Window Title.   Which is it?   a Name or a Title?  This was reported long ago. I could give you many other examples, but the important thing about this one is that we know that the new Script Workspace and certain calculation dialogs (like the one associated with the Data Viewer) are being watched closely now with v.14 and it would be a shame to overlook anything that makes the new version s perfect as it can be.

• 7. Re: Pre-selected text in new FM-14 calculation dialog
                      TSGal

dburnham and hschlossberg:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 15.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.