Preview Mode / Print fails with 3+ columns of "by reference" images

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v1

Operating system version

Windows 7 Pro

Description of the issue

This database worked fine in FM 11.  Databases are hosted on FM Server 12.  Clients are all Windows 7 Pro with FM Pro 12.0v1.  The images database has 1 image per record and all are "by reference".  There are layouts to print the images 1-up, 2-up, 4-up, 6-up, 8-up, 16-up, 25-up, and 36-up.  The layouts for 16-up and above are set up with 4, 5, and 6 columns respectively in Landscape mode.

All of the machines are on the local network with access to the original image location using the same path as they were imported with.  On all machines except the server itself when attempting to preview the images in more than 2 columns only the last page will preview or print.  The other pages are totally blank when previewed or printed.

I have been able to reproduce the problem in my lab using Windows XP with WiFi on an older slower machine but on Windows 7 Pro on 1000T in the lab it works fine.  I believe the problem is somehow related to memory, processor, or network performance.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Build a database with 1 container per record.  Set up a server accessible via the network with at least 72 images of 4 megapixel or larger.  Import the images into the database "by reference" using the Import Images

Build a layout to display the images in 3 or more columns when printed.  Preview the images.  If the problem is occurring then the first preview and all but the last will be blank.

Expected result

The images should preview and print in their proper columns.

Actual result

In some cases all but the last page are blank.  On occasion I have seen the first page show the images and the 2nd not.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Configuration information

Problem has occurred on both Windows 7 Pro and Windows XP Pro.  It seems to be related to slower network but could be related to system memory or some other factor.  For example it worked fine when running FileMaker Pro on the server machine itself which is a Core 2 Duo with only 2GB of memory but did not work when run on a Toshiba 4-core laptop with 4GB memory.  The big difference between the two in this case was the Toshiba was connected via 100T vs the local connection on the server.  Similarly in my test environment it worked fine running on Parallels on a Mac with Windows 7 (Core i7, 2GB memory and 4 CPUs allocated to the VM) but failed on an old 1.8 GHz 1GB Windows XP running on 801.11g network.

Workaround

Running on a faster machine on a faster network seems to work better.

The problem only occurs if the images are stored "by reference"